The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Z...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Hogg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
It's a bit like the Greatest Show On Turf - Martz had talented, speedy, "lightweight" WR's in Bruce and Holt (lightweight in the sense of not liking to take a pounding rather than being Smurfs). It was the speed and talent that Martz wanted, rather than looking for undersized. In DET this year, he happens to have Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson, a pair of bigger WR's. Williams fits the system already, and over time they'll figure out how to get Johnson fully involved.

If your definition of "lightweight" is not wanting to take a hit, you might want to re-think using Roy "Zero Career Tackles Broken" Williams as an exception.

He's not as bad as Mike Furrey, though, who openly admits that he learned everything he knows about going down before getting hit from Bruce and Holt.

Johnson will fit in fine once he gets the hang of the system - he's had a couple nagging injuries that have limited his practice time.

Quote:
The tight end seems is a reasonable issue, especially with the defensive packages and speed these days. On the other hand, having to defense 4 WR *and* the RB out of the back *and* the possibility of the RB running the ball on inside handoffs does cause issues in return for the defense.

If Barry Sanders would have ever made an effort to get involved in the passing game, the 1991 Lions would have been unstoppable. People forget that they lost two outstanding guards to freak accidents - Utley getting paralyzed and Andolsek getting run over by a semi while mowing his lawn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:

Jeremy Billones wrote:
4) Bert Jones 1976 (I think this came out #1 in the update)

He's Otto-matic: Manning's #1

Take that, Cheetah~! :P

You're too late, Crow, I'm too fast for you. :P Look up the thread a couple of posts and you'll see that I already punted "Choker" Jones plenty and I even name-dropped a couple of big-armed QBs of vaguely Eastern European heritage in the process.

Lee (who edited this post to remove that obscene picture of a BJ and throw in an obscure one of an SB above and an obvious RJ below)

Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that time of year again... time for Dr. Z to present his analysis of NFL game commentators.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/02/07/announcers/index.html
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for what was a double post... I got an error message, but when I went back to repost, I didn't realize the message was already posted and the error apparently dealt with the inability to take me back to the thread.
guren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In very sad news, Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman suffered two strokes last week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/11/30/week13/index.html
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:(

John
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren wrote:
In very sad news, Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman suffered two strokes last week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/11/30/week13/index.html

Aieee. Can we maybe blame all those years of him suffering through Patrick, Theisman and Maguire...?

Lee
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad side to Bob Hayes' induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the Dr. Z thread, I'll mention that Peter King has been doing regular updates on Paul Zimmerman's health, and it has been improving.

I don't know if Paul will ever be able to write for SI.com again, but the fact he is doing better health wise is a good sign and I hope he continues to get better.
guren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter King had a fairly substantial Dr. Z update in his most recent MMQB column.

Quote:
Not every story has a happy ending, but it doesn't mean the ending is sad either. We've just passed the three-year anniversary of longtime SI pro football writer Paul Zimmerman suffering a series of three strokes that left him unable to speak and almost totally unable to communicate. So many of you have asked about Dr. Z over the years -- it never ends, which is heartwarming and, believe me, appreciated by Paul and his wife, Linda, who live in New Jersey.

I've tried to stay in semi-regular touch with them. I was really uplifted by Linda the other day when we spoke. She said she still finds it amazing that even though Paul can't read, write or speak, he's up on the news, exercises every day and has a good outlook on life. "We're not depressed,'' she said. "I think it's because we have each other.''

What a statement.

Zim watches football, though it's hard to know exactly what he comprehends from it because he can't say, "Hey, what a dumb throw that was.'' They watch movies. They follow the news. And he rehabs in the hope that he might be able to regain some of what was lost. But they're both realistic about it. It's been three years, and if this is what it is, then so be it.

They went to Gettysburg in September and got a guide to get in the car with them and drive them around all the war sites. Tremendous fun for three hours. She figures they'll do some more history things because he loves that -- and she does too. In December, I'll gather some of his friends -- Matt Millen, Dick Vermeil, and one or two others -- and we'll have lunch with Paul and Linda in New Jersey. Zim loves that. Millen's fantastic with him, telling him stories about the old Raiders, and Zim can't get enough of them. He can't give back, but he loves to hear and be involved and be in the middle of things.

And the wine -- he still loves the wine. Vermeil will bring a couple of bottles from his vineyard, and we'll drink those. Good thing the stroke didn't take away his taste buds. The man can still eat -- and drink.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/27/week.12/1.html
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing that over, Glenn.

John
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing that over since I don't read MMQB anymore.

Over the past few months, particularly with how ESPN has handled the Bernie Fine case, I've been telling a few of my friends that work n the sports media of how much I miss reading Dr. Z's columns. Obviously, his stuff in his latter years wasn't as good as his stuff in his prime...then again, that's why they call them 'primes'....but it's far better than most everythng I read today.

What's incredible to me is that I do read stuff that shows an obvious imprint that Z left on the game...but, it's from amateur writer who hav their own blog.

I don't know how to quite explain it, but Dr. Z fans probably know what i mean....but, Dr. Z just had a way of making his work or if he was talking on TV seem important because his take had a way of being unique...but still genuine.

Probably the closest to Z that is a pro writer is Whitlock, but he's not nearly as analytical and has that tendency to fall into the occasional 'let's make a controversial standpoint even though we really don't believe in it because it will sell.' I don't thik that ever...once...crossed Dr. Z's mind.

So when he spoke up or something big hapened....I couln't wat to read his take on it. It would be something that would literally become a big part of my day.

YR
guren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I agree with what you wrote, including the comments about Whitlock. I always looked forward to Dr. Z's All-Pro and HoF picks. I appreciated how every year he would select a couple of surprising All-Pro picks, and he would explain that these guys stood out in his game charts. I suppose I felt his methods were authentic and not clouded by any bias.

Btw, as I am typing this, I am looking at Dr. Z's image in the upper left corner of tOA. Nice.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorites was when he did the NFL draft for ESPN and got kicked off for saying that what will happen with testing for steroids is that the cheaters will get smarter and always figure out a way to cheat the system.

Of course, those stupid fucks at ESPN kicked him off mid-telecast. He was only dead on with his prediction.

But, it was a well thought out, honest projection by Dr. Z.

YR
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with everything said about Dr. Z by both of you.

Also want to say that Linda is an amazing woman for all she's gone through. Total respect for her.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: