The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017/2018 NBA Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to be sincere & with all respect I say....TOUGH SHIT BOSTON!! Hope Red got some TV time in hell so he could watch his team choke tonight....in Boston. Losers to the end.

Game reminded me of the Laker/ Boston 7th game choke. Really enjoyed the ending.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston's last three first round picks:

2015 #1-16 Terry Rozier
2016 #1-3 Jaylen Brown
2017 #1-3 Jayson Tatum

In 19 playoff games, they averaged:

Tatum: 19-4-3 on .471/.324/.854
Brown: 18-5-1 on .466/.393/.640
Rozier: 17-5-6 on .406/.347/.821

Anyone think that Ingram, Lonzo and Kuz could have put that up right now, even in against the Buck, 76ers and Cavs?

Our fellow need to elevate their games, because Tatum and Brown are on their way to being stars and Rozier is the type of asset that Ainge knows how to balance salary with flip-ability.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also the first round picks of Memphis, Sacramento and the Clippers next year. Memphis and the Clippers picks have protections, so they might role to 2020. The Kings pick is only protected if it's #1 overall, in which case they would get the 76ers pick.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General point: I hate the Celtics. We're within one title of tying them for the most in "NBA History" (we're actually tied if the first Mikan title is counted). It pisses me off that they have handled their rebuild better and are wildly closer to winning an NBA Title than we are, and worse - they're set up to fire a number of bullets unless Bron goes to Philly.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowe preview on tonight's game:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23626653/zach-lowe-game-7-golden-state-warriors-vs-houston-rockets-nba-playoffs
corrado

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warriors survive, after a dismal start which Steve Kerr called one of the worst quarters he's seen. But part of it was not just them getting their groove back, but the Rockets shooting a miserable 7/44 from 3. Their usual strength didn't work for them tonight. And not having the leadership of CP3 added to that as well.

So for the 4th straight year, its the Warriors vs the Cavs. And I got the Warriors in 5.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Back up by 13 early in the 3rd, up by 11 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd, and still up by 6 with 5 minutes in the 3rd.

Then the Dubs went on a 17-2 run in less than three minutes to turn that 6 point Rockets lead into a 9 point Dubs lead.

Feel bad for Morey. He built the right team to beat a Dubs team that seems lacking fire. CP3 and Mbah a Moute getting hurt took as their second best player and screwed up their rotations and versatility. On the other hand, Curry is hurt and playing like 2016 Playoff Curry, while Iggy being out screws up the Dubs rotations and versatility. One would have liked to see these two play a best-of-7 fully healthy, but that rarely happens this late in the year as there always are either people out or carrying knocks.

I don't think the Cavs match up well at all against the Dubs. The absence of Kyrie removes a massive defensive burden from Klay. He's just going to be a helluva a lot fresher this series compared to the last three years. The rest of Bron's cast this year is largely a trainwreck in the playoffs. I don't know where bench help is coming from. Clarkson has played his way out of the playoffs against weaker offensive teams - his defense won't hold up against the Dubs. You would think Nance's defense would come in handy, but his lack of shooting means the Dubs only have to worry about him being a roll man on the pick and roll. Hood has been a wild disappointment. Hill is banged up and not playing well. Love is inconsient, banged up, and remains a defensive problem when the Dubs go to The Death Lineup. Smith disappeared in the Celtics series. Korver is the only guy who hit the three playing off Bron, and his defense is a major issue if he you're asking him to log more than 20 carefully selected minutes a game. Starting Thompson with Love against the Dubs is a problem given the way Thompson has played this year.

Just hard to see that group of players matching up with the Dubs. Bron *averaged* 34-12-10 in the Finals last year. As great as he's playing this playoffs, how much better than *that* can he be? Kyrie chipped in 29-4-4 on .472/.419/.900 shooting... and the Cavs don't have anyone around looking like that.

On the other hand, the Dubs are flaky this year. They are banged up and lack depth. They rode the Death Lineup hard in the Finals last year with Iggy averaging 28 minutes a game in the series and 38 in the Game 5 close out where Kerr was leaving nothing to chance. They don't have anyone on the bench who can add what Iggy does on the defensive side or on the offensive side. He is their #1 Bron defender. You get the sense that the Dubs are (i) Iggy failing to get reasonably healthy and (ii) Steph more seriously tweaking the knee or ankle away from making this a much more even series. The Dubs have had issues without Steph this year, and Iggy is their Finals jack of all trades. At least if both teams are something of a mess if those (i) & (ii) happened, Bron knows the mess he's dealing with and how to working around it. Kerr would be scrambling, with a the remaining three of the Death Line Up (KD, Klay & Dray) not exactly being in their best head space of this run.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On both nights, I thought both teams were going to lose. Always go with the champion. Until you win one, your always at a disadvantage. James winning the next series....would really be something.---Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The home team wins 80% of the time in Game 7s in the NBA. For both road teams to win the Game 7 in the conference finals is certainly unusual and (I believe) unprecedented.

LeBron winning the title this year with this motley crew would be up there with coming back from a 3-1 deficit against one of the greatest (regular season) teams of all time. As I type this, Vegas has the series odds at -1200/+755, which is completely nutso. Nutso. Not necessarily wrong, but nutso.

Regarding the finals, I am interested to see if the Cavs push the pace like they did last year. It was clear that Lue knew that his team had the inferior defense, and their best option was to try to out-score the Dubs. The five games last year were all high-scoring and the pace factor was 100.2 (per 48 minutes). As a reference, the pace factor for this year's Dubs vs Rox series was 93.8 and for the Cavs vs Celts series it was 91.7. Without Kyrie this year and with their current roster, I am sure the Cavs will try to keep the pace slow and prevent the Dubs from running as much as possible. Will they succeed, and even if they do, will it be enough?

glenn (would love to see another 7 game series)
JAG

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubs are going to crush them.

LeBron might take a game, but the Cavs defense is just waiting to be shredded.

Then hes going to destroy the Dubs next year with a fresh supporting cast.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there may be big problems in Philly:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz

Wow, that's fucked up. I would assume that's it for Colangelo. Toss him before they attempt to woo Bron.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Cavs have a very good chance to go up 1-0 over the Warriors, but JR Smith forgets the score, thinking they are ahead, where he could've attempted a 3 to seal the game for the Cavs. Instead the game goes to overtime and the Warriors dominate OT and wins game 1. Just a dumbass play by JR Smith. He wasted a 51-point game by Lebron, and now a series that seemed perhaps like a tossup now goes to the Warriors' favor even more.

And now they will probably be without Tristan Thompson for Game 2 after he wigged out on Draymond Green. You can see why Lebron would want to bolt after that game.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great game.

Seems James got upset with his team mates in the OT, when they missed shots & screwed up, & then refused to give up the ball late.

Loved seeing Baylor remembered.--Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Tristan didn't get suspended. Maybe because of the questionable call that set him off in Game 1.

Not that it made much of a difference as the Warriors win to make it 2-0. Gut feeling this series is halfway over. Even without Iggy, the Warriors are getting help from the reserves and role players like Javale Mcgee and Jordan Bell. They're clearly doing a better job at the bench than the Cavs.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take back my comment about Steph not being healthy. I think somewhere along the way, seeming like Game 7 against the Rockets, he got reasonably close to healthy and found his game.

He was shooting/scoring reasonably well in the home games against the Rockets: 31 PPG on .486/.410/1.000 shooting. But his passing and creation just wasn't there, far more than the mediocre 3.0 APG in those three games reflected. He just didn't seem physically himself and have the ability to truly impose his will on the game. He was pretty poor in the first three road games.

Game 7 was the tremendous 27-9-10 where the three were dropping and his creation was there. It's continued into this series. Sure, they are all at home so far. But including that Game 7, he's putting up 30-7-9 on 45/49/100 shooting. He's hitting back breaking shots like we expect out of Curry when he's at his peak. There's little visual signs that he's badly banged up like we saw early in the playoff return. It's vintage stuff.

KD was a "complimentary" player taking just 14 shots, and not getting to the line like he usually does. Complimentary to the tune of 26-9-7 while making 10 of those 14 shots. Klay was 8/13 for a quiet 20 points.

Things change when you go on the road and aren't shooting at your own rims.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: