The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2016/2017 Futbol Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be a rather spunky Celtic performance against City. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord did we need that win against Spurs today. Another game of looking like the better team (despite the lack of possession), but not putting it in the back of the net enough.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We appear to be playing very good at the moment.

Of course Chelsea is as well, which is making Simon very happy. :P
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You jinx! :P

Had to lose eventually, but I wish it wasn't to freakin Spurs. Also sucks that Liverpool & Arsenal both dropped points but still gained ground on us. Five point lead isn't as good as eight, but I'll still take it. At least this should stop all the talk about the title race being over. There's still a long way to go.

I love that Conte was able to turn the team around through coaching - both the formation switch and getting Hazard, Matic, Courtois, and Pedro to return to form. In a game where the answer is always to buy new players, he took what he had and made it work. Of course we did add Kante, Luiz, and Michy but even with them we were wobbly at times and there was a call to completely overhaul the squad.

The worry with a big tactical adjustment is that it will eventually be found out. ZM wrote about how Tottenham countered the 3-4-3. I haven't actually watched yesterday's game yet but it sounds a little like what City did in a game they might have won had De Bruyne not Rosenthal'd a great chance to bag a two goal lead. Here's hoping that Conte will work out how to stop other teams from following that plan.

We've got two games against Leicester and Hull that we really need to get six points from before facing Liverpool and Arsenal.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These list are a riot in terms of bad-funny, especially Kartik's.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2016/12/28/top-10-soccer-commentators

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2016/12/26/top-10-soccer-co-commentators

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2016/12/23/top-10-soccer-studio-analysts

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/01/03/top-10-soccer-presenters

I think putting Dan Thomas as #1 of such a list is a good sign of someone who is clueless. :)

Harris' lists are better, but the love of ESPN's studio analysts and the rating of the horrid Martino over the Two Robbie's is mind numbing.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good weekend for Chelsea. Beat Hull with Costa scoring and hopefully putting all the nonsense behind him. Liverpool hilariously lost to Swansea and Spurs, City, and United all drew. If not for a last minute penalty Arsenal would've dropped points as well, and Wenger may be looking at a ban after 'pushing' the fourth official. Glad we were able to increase the lead with the next two games being Liverpool and Arsenal. FA Cup up next.

Rooney passed Sir Bobby with a sweet free kick. It only salvaged a draw with Stoke but United's unbeaten streak is now at 17. He may not have much left and we can debate that he could have been even better, but it's a hell of an achievement to be United's all time leading scorer.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific win by Chelsea. Courtois was huge in making saves when the Gunners had chances to get back in the game.

What a ridiculous game for Everton. :) Bournemouth's defense looked like Swiss Cheese with Lukaku being a mouse going to town on them. Then Everton's defense looked leaky as well.

Tom - how has Schneiderlin looked since coming over? I always had hopes for him being Carrick's heir, but he rarely played in that role for us under either LVG or Mou, and seemed to fall quickly out of favor with Mou. You guys have your own Carrick in Barry, but he's a couple of months older than Carrick (both turn 36 soon) so Everton face the same issue of needing a replacement. I think you guys might have gotten a good one.

I'm sure a DM/HM is on Mou's shopping list. He always loves a top DM/HM in his midfield. He had Makelele in hand in his first run at Chelsea, Cambiasso at Inter and Xabi at Madrid. He didn't have what he wanted in the second run at Chelsea, and they went out and got Matic who was terrific for about a season and a half. He has one in hand at United with Carrick, even if it took him a few months to figure out to go with a 4-3-3. But he has to know Carrick can't go more than once a week, and it's time to get some depth there. It's one thing I have some faith on in the coming window - we'll likely get a good DM/HM. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA Cup 6th Round:

Chelsea vs Manchester United
Middlesbrough vs Manchester City/ Huddersfield Town
Tottenham vs Millwall
Arsenal / Sutton United vs Lincoln City

Crap. I bet Simon isn't happy either. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane Barca-PSG game. I avoided spoilers all day... so I completely lost my shit over it when watching it off the DVR. :)
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mixer

New book from ZM. Comes out 6/1 in the UK.

Quote:
Itís the story of the Premier Leagueís tactical evolution, covering its first 25 seasons from 1992/93 to 2016/17. Itís essentially about the revolutionaries: the innovative managers, the game-changing players, the inspirational teams, the new tactical concepts, the off-field developments that influenced playing styles.

Looking forward to this one.

Simon
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sucked.

Lots of us had a chuckle at the starting XI Mourinho sent out but he had the last laugh. Why haven't they played like this all season?

Teams are starting to figure out how to attack the 3-4-3, so Conte will need to adjust. He's dropped Pedro/Willian for Fabregas and a 3-5-2 several times lately during games, so wouldn't be terribly surprising to see more of that going forward. We also badly need to get some depth at wing back; Alonso going out was a big blow. Hopefully he's not out for long. I can't remember the last time we kept a clean sheet. And with Costa not scoring like he was, it's getting kind of nervous.

The good thing about having a ten point lead is that you can afford slip ups like today and against Palace. Four points ahead is better than four points behind, but Spurs are really on a roll right now. The schedule isn't too daunting; we've got Southampton, Boro, West Brom, Watford, and Sunderland - three decent teams with nothing to play for and two shitty teams that are all but relegated. And all but WBA are at the Bridge. The remaining game is away to a good but not great Everton. Spurs still have United & Arsenal plus revitalized Leicester & Palace. Here's hoping they drop a few points and make things easy on us.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was awesome.

:P

Interesting tactical battle. This was one of the times when Mou seemed to get most everything right. Lots of really good performances all over the pitch, with one of the rare times we didn't need DDG to carry the defense.

The first goal was a shame - Ander clearly handled it. They need to change the rule from " deliberately" to "advantageously". There are extremely few deliberate handballs in the penalty box. In fact, Luis Surarez in the World Cup us one of the few. Instead they play the game of whether the arm was in an unnatural position and how close the kicker was to the player. The unnatural position stuff is an attempt to get to "advantageously", since it sure as hell isn't deliberately. Just change the damn language.

Did Ander deliberately handle it? Who knows. But it's about 100% certain that would have been called a handball in the box, which is strange since stuff isn't called in the box that almost always gets called outside the ball. But it's also certain that Ander "advantageously" handled that ball - he got control of the ball, moved forward with it, and then threaded that exceptional ball through to Rashford. I mean... WTF. I'm a United Fan, but that bothered even me. :)

I'm glad we got the second to take some of the stink off that. :P

We still have a tough run in, and those Thursday games if we go through in Euro League. But... we technically control our own destiny in both Euro League and 4th Place. Win out, and we take the Euro League and are at least in 4th. We have a game in hand on City, and play them head-to-head.

Given the number of draws we've had, it's not likely we're going to win out. :P So Euro League is a key to get into Champions League next season. We have to win on Thursday.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too thought it was a handball, but it's hard to get too upset since that pass was flat out gorgeous and David Luiz just kind of shut off when Rashford pointed for the pass and made his run. (Incidentally, Luiz-toh had been terrific this season, but in recent weeks he's donned the Muta paint and started blowing green mist. Hopefully he's got that out of his system and can recapture his previous form.)

I haven't known what to make of United this season. Sometimes it has seemed like they were on the verge of becoming really good if they could just finish their scoring chances, and other times it has felt like LVG never left. The United starting XI had scored only 12 league goals going into the game, but they sure didn't look like it during the game. They were impressive. JDW, is there something to the notion that's been floating around lately about Zlatan holding United back even though he's scored a bunch of goals? Would they have played as well today with Zlatan up front and Rashford & Lingard on the wings and/or bench?

I think you've got a decent shot at Top Four via the league. Arsenal are toast, Everton aren't real contenders, Liverpool have struggled without Mane plus their remaining games are all against the mid/lower table teams that have frustrated them all season. United's schedule is pretty rough, though - away to City, Arsenal, Spurs, Southampton and Burnley (who are excellent at home).

Of course the Europa League is ripe for the picking with no really strong teams left in United's way. I wouldn't mind United making Top Four, but I'm hoping they miss out on the Europa League so Chelsea remain the only English club with the CL/EL/CWC trifecta. :P

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: