The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2016/2017 Futbol Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: 2016/2017 Futbol Thread Reply with quote

Good start to the season. My father enjoyed goals being scored quite a bit. Then we laughed at Wenger. :P

Last edited by jdw on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good: 6 points out of 6.

Ibra has been fantastic. Pogba showed flashes in his first start. I'm not sold that Fellani is the one who should be playing with him, but maybe that was just the opponent. Martial has been kinda-sorta unhappy wide left, but I'm hopping that Mou can convince him that it's a good spot for him. Mata on the right is really strange given the history between Mata and Mou. Kind of was hoping Miki would be lighting it up over there.

The defense is strange. Never thought Blind would survive in the back line under Mou. I'm also a bit surprised by how quickly Mou is throwing Bailly to the wolves. I'm crossing my fingers on Shaw staying healthy, and developing under Mou. Valencia still being on the right is also a surprise. He does follow the game plans, and now has had plenty of experience there in the past few years. But you would think Mou would be pushing for a permanent fixture there.

I'm guessing we'll have a flurry of loans and/or sales here in the final week before the deadline.

Feel a lot more positive about this team than any in the four post-Sir Alex seasons.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle of the undefeated between United and, um, Hull came down to the wire with Marcus Rashford getting an extra time winner. I only caught the tail end of the game when United was going all out for a goal. They already look a big improvement over the LVG version. Manchester Derby is up next after the international break.

JDW, what do you make of Rashford? I haven't seen enough to judge but what I have seen looks very promising. Rob Smyth, a writer that I rate despite his United leanings, seems to have him pegged for multiple Ballon d'Ors. (I exaggerate... slightly.) I don't think he is the sort to hype someone up beyond belief, so is Rashford the real deal and not another Macheda or Januzaj?

Hull are a very interesting story. EVERYONE had them pegged for relegation. Not just relegation, but finishing dead last and probably making a run at Derby's record for fewest points. With no permanent manager, a sick owner with his son filling in and driving the fans crazy, and only 13 actual first team players, even winning their first two and giving a good go against United is a big surprise. They'll probably sink like a stone now.

Chelsea also have three league wins out of three. If I could have chosen one (realistic) signing for us to make this summer, it would've been N'Golo Kante and he has delivered. He seems to be everywhere and provides a desparately needed shield for the still leaky back four. He also allows the other midfielders a bit more freedom. Oscar has had two very good games and even Matic is kinda starting to recover from whatever has happened to him over the last year and a half.

Hazard has been reborn, looking nothing like the shell he was last year. He's been even better than his PotY form of two seasons ago. He seems to be making a conscious effort to take more shots, which is a welcome change. Hopefully he can keep up this kind of form over the entire season.

We've had a pretty easy schedule so far - injury plagued West Ham, mediocre Watford, and hard working but talent starved Burnley - so I'm not getting to worked up just yet. I don't think we'll be legitimate title contenders, but I think/hope/pray we'll be in the mix for top four.

Simon
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if Rashford does come in to the starting XI, who does he replace? Obviously Zlatan isn't coming out, so is it Rooney, Martial, or Mata? I'd figure Mkhitaryan to eventually take one of those spots (probably Mata). Can Rashford play out wide or as a No. 10?

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Rashford, I'm not sure that he's better than Martial. Admittedly, Martial isn't playing great at the moment, but I think part of that is due to the team going out and getting Ibra and Martial being moved off his favorite #9 role. But I really like Martial's all around game, and if Mou connects which him, he'll turn out great.

I like Rashford, but I loath the media pushing him as The Next Great England Savior. That rarely works out well. There also is the positional issue, as he's more of an inside player than an wide one. So if he starts, there isn't a good fit for him. If the team takes Rooney out of the line up, it shouldn't be to find another guy in the middle of a 4-2-3-1 but instead to move to a 4-3-3 with Poga+Herrera in front of a HMF, with Miki and Player X (Martial frankly) as the wide players and Ibra up top.

I do like the depth of the team. My guess is that Mou is going to try to run deep in Europa League and also the Jobber Cup before we even get to FA Cup time. That means fielding a good line up for Thursday Europa League games while also having players ready for the weekend. Then those League/Jobber Cup games only mess with the schedule more. So guys like Rashford will have plenty of starts in the midweek.

Mou does tend to go deep in Cups. He won the League Cup in 2015 with Chelsea, a year he won the EPL and tried hard in Champions League. He's not as communicative as Sir Alex was when juggling his line up, but he does seem to know how to juggle things. So... I think he'll find his way around a deep roster.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon - the David Luiz speculation must be driving you nuts. :)
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some odd moves this week:

* Man City exiles Joe Hart to...Torino, of all places? No one else wanted him? He has a lot of matches under his belt, but he's only 29, he can't be done, right?

* Chelsea buys back David Luiz? How soon until Antonio Conte strangles him?

* Arsenal exiles Jack Wilshire to...Bournemouth? How quickly things change, a couple years ago he was in an ad with Messi. Now he'll be playing in front of 11k fans in Bournemouth.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with Hart the issues are:

* too late in the deadline
* overpriced as England's #1
* globally seen as a bit overrated

It's a bit too late for anyone in England to have bought him as most teams were set at keeper. Plus the price in wages (if just a loan) and fee (if a transfer) sends most teams for the door. City was going to pick up a lot of the wage bill, but I think most teams were pretty firm in already making their decision on keepers.

In turn, I don't think most big clubs around Europe think Hart is all that great, especially given the cost. It makes for a narrow band of clubs that would chase him.

My guess is that he goes to some EPL club in the summer. He will still have two years left on his contract, and not for cheap money:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2880977/Joe-Hart-signs-new-Manchester-City-contract-keeping-Premier-League-champions-end-2018-19-season.html

Unless there some EPL mark club for him, I suspect that City would take a modest fee to get his contract off the books, and possibly pick up some of the wage difference. EPL clubs are flush with that TV money, but that's still a lot for a keeper.

Wilshire probably ran into the same thing. Too late in the window to workout a deal with a bigger club. The injuries don't help, as no one wants to plonk down both a fee and the wages for someone who hasn't proven he can stay on the pitch. The Gunners also don't want to give him away for nothing if he miraculously gets healthy and they can get a decent amount for him. It also seems like Wilshire was the one pushing to go once he figured out that he didn't fit much into the plans at Arsenal, and that his place in England's side was wasting away as well.

Wilshire is going to have issues finding places to play.

Luiz back to Chelsea is a flat out riot. :)
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Simon - the David Luiz speculation must be driving you nuts. :)

We desperately needed defensive reinforcements. I wish we had bought someone younger who will be around for years but this is what happens when you dick around until this last minute. I don't know why we wasted so much time trying to deal with the jackass owner of Napoli who is always a pain to deal with. David Luiz is still immensely popular with Chelsea fans - I wonder if that influenced Emenalo since he's been getting lots of crap about Chelsea's signings (or lack thereof) the last couple transfer windows.

Luiz is a nutter but he should still be an upgrade on Cahill. If nothing else, at least he's another warm body. The team probably could have used his goofy charm in the dressing room last season. Conte does have some tactical flexibility now - maybe we'll see the back three after all with Luiz in the playmaker Bonucci role. I wouldn't even mind seeing him spend some time in midfield if Matic slips back to last year's form.

I wonder what will happen when Kurt Zouma returns. I'm a big Zouma fan but not sure about a Zouma-Luiz partnership.

I don't know much about Marcos Alonso but he's apparently left footed which is nice because all of our other fullbacks are right footed. I love Azpilicueta and he is great defensively but he doesn't offer much going forward on the left side. Wouldn't be surprised to see Conte try out Alonso on the left and move Azpi back to the right.

Simon
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both United and Chelsea had their winning streaks stopped this weekend.

Chelsea played well apart from a few really bad moments in the second half. Awful errors by Courtois and Cahill leading to Swansea goals. Cahill was fouled but he still shouldn't have put himself in position to let that happen in the first place. Costa's equalizer probably shouldn't have counted since he kicked a dude in the freaking head. I think Conte is doing a good job and has the team playing well. If he can straighten out the suspect back four and keep Costa & Hazard firing then we've got a great shot at a CL spot.

The Manchester Derby was a cracking game. United got schooled in the first half by City. Jose was quick to blame the ref and the players. He's partially right - that was a stonewall penalty on Bravo and Mkhitaryan & Lingard (among others) were really bad. But Jose himself has been almost universally blamed for the way he set up the team. The Pogba-Fellaini pivot will work against weaker teams where United have the ball most of the time but didn't work at all against City. Once Herrera and they switched to 4-3-3, United looked much better. Jose is too smart not to know this and I think he'll adjust in other big games.

I really really really hate that we let KDB go for next to nothing. Terrific player.

Simon
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelsea's good start came to a crashing halt last night with a humbling defeat by Liverpool. We were completely and utterly smoked in the first half. It was as bad as anything we saw last season. The second half was better but not good enough. It's disappointing that we had all week to train for this with no European match and we still came out totally flat and unable to handle Liverpool. Not sure why Conte waited until the last ten minutes to make any subs. Also not sure why the impressive Batshuayi wasn't one of the subs since we were chasing a goal. On the plus side, Costa scored another goal and David Luiz was solid. Matic was not so good but did pop up with some nice moves to set up Costa's goal. Courtois, whom I had increasingly been losing patience with, had a terrific stop of an Origi header late on.

I still think we'll be in the Top Four, but there is work to be done. Gary Cahill has to be dropped. I'd rather have David Luiz's occasional spectacular fuck up than Cahill's regular garden variety mistakes. I'd give Ivanovic a rest too, moving Azpilicueta back to the right and bringing in Alonso. Don't know if that would improve things but we should at least try to find out. I'd also give Willian a break. He works his socks off but he hasn't given us much offensively. Victor Moses has been pretty good in his substitute appearances so I'd give him a few starts.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... we kind of suck a whole lot at the moment. The only positive of being out of town working a case is that I didn't have to watch it. :P

Though... it is sitting on the DVR. ;)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news: we won our Jobber Cup game

Bad news: we drew City in the next round
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last week a couple stats made the rounds - that Arsenal were winless in 10 league games against Chelsea and hadn't even scored in their last six. Naturally, this led to a 3-0 thumping by the Gunners. The score probably flattered the Blues, not a single one of whom showed up to play aside from Diego Costa.

Conte has to shore up the defense. Gary Cahill continued his David Luiz impression with yet another bone-headed disaster gifting a goal to the opposition. John Terry has to replace Cahill, injured ankle ligaments or not. John Terry with a bum ankle, torn ACL, broken arm, and recovering from a stroke would be preferable to Gary Cahill on current form. Ivanovic needs to sit as well. Marcos Alonso was okay in the League Cup game, but 'okay' would be a big step up from Ivanovic.

The defense was bad, but the offense wasn't much better. Costa did his damndest but had virtually no help. Hazard was back in invisible mode and Fabregas joined him. Willian hasn't done much this season and really needs to make way for Moses to get a chance.

Conte experimented with a back three, so with things being so messy right now it wouldn't surprise me to see a formation change. If not a back three, then maybe a 4-4-2 with Batshuayi coming in. Probably not given what we know about Conte. But he's got to do something. Too early to panic, but consecutive ass stompings by Top Four rivals is worrying.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning to United...

Rooney got dropped. In came Mata in a fluid #10 role. Given the Champs sit back and counter, Mata's lack of defense didn't matter. It also allowed Pogba to push up, and Herrera to play "faux holder".

I don't think this line up has any chance against top quality teams who attack. It would have been just a floppy against City as out initial 4-2-3-1. The team still badly needs to go 4-3-3 against better teams with Carrick or Schneiderlin in true holding while allowing Pogba and Herrera to box-to-box / link.

Rashford has looked good. The problem is that this comes at the expense of Martial, who is far too valuable for Mou to blow like KDB. Even in a 4-3-3 there's only so much room for Rashford, Martial and Miki (who is terrific if we can get him going). I get that Lingard follows the defensive plot, but in five years people will be laughing at United if they screwed up their chances with Martial because of guys like Jesse. This is ADM all over again, except with a younger player still tapping into what his potential is.

Defense continues to be iffy. Shaw is in the doghouse, so Blind moved over there. He was good at times, solid at times, and got a bit lucky a few times not to be exposed when loose with the ball.

3 goals on set pieces, along with 3 of them coming in a short time. We were zeroes in the second half. Positives, but we need to be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: