The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2016/2017 NBA Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: 2016/2017 NBA Thread Reply with quote

New Thread. :)

Warriors going forward...

One does wonder how much Barnes cost himself with such a horrid Final. The Warriors had offered $64M for 4 years. He was thought to be headed towards $20M+ per year from another team. Now will someone float him $10M?

A month ago, I'd mentioned to someone at work the type of player the Clippers needed if they had the month: Harrison Barnes. A 3&D SF who can camp in the corner for 3's and run the sidelines for cuts to the basket if left alone. The Clips had their stars in CP3 & Blake, a defensive C, and a three point guard. They just needed an upgrade of a good role player at SF who could 3&D. That looked like Harrison.

Now he looks like a guy you can't trust.

It's not like he's forever spoiled. He averaged 10-7 in the last three games of *last* year's Final, with 5/9 3P shooting. He's had a bad final 3 games, and a perfectly fine final 3 games in back-to-back Finals. But... there's a level of trust there that makes you now want to plop down $20M+ a year.

It will be interesting to see who the Warriors chase.

Their cap is here:
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/06/offseason-salary-cap-digest-golden-state-warriors.html

Guaranteed Salary
* Klay Thompson ($16,663,575)
* Draymond Green ($15,330,435)
* Stephen Curry ($12,112,359)
* Andre Iguodala ($11,131,368)
* Andrew Bogut ($11,027,027)
* Shaun Livingston ($3,000,000) — Partial guarantee; non-guaranteed portion listed below1
* Kevon Looney ($1,182,840)
* (Jason Thompson $945,126) — Salary remaining from release via stretch provision
Total: $71,392,730

Player Options
* None

Team Options
* None

Non-Guaranteed Salary
* Shaun Livingston ($2,782,450) — Partial guarantee; guaranteed portion listed above1

Restricted Free Agents (Qualifying Offers/Cap Holds)
* Harrison Barnes ($5,194,227/$9,683,495)
* Festus Ezeli ($3,013,123/$5,021,870)
* Ian Clark ($1,215,696/$1,215,696)
* James Michael McAdoo ($1,180,431/$1,180,431)
Totals: $10,603,477/$17,101,492

Unrestricted Free Agents (Cap Holds)
* Marreese Speights ($7,248,500)
* Leandro Barbosa ($3,250,000)
* Brandon Rush ($980,431)
* Anderson Varejao ($980,431)
Total: $12,459,362

Other Cap Holds
* Jermaine O’Neal ($2,400,000)
* Ognjen Kuzmic ($980,431)
* No. 30 pick ($976,300)
Total: $4,356,731

Projected Salary Cap: $92,000,000

Footnotes:

* Livingston’s full $5,782,450 salary will become guaranteed if he’s still on the roster beyond June 30th.

If they are making a Big Move, they will likely do variations of the following:

* Renounce some RFA's / FA's on their roster
* Trade Guaranteed Salaries of limted value / duplicative value
* come to agreements to resign some their RFA's / FA's at less than their cap-hold numbers
* work some stretches on Guaranteed Salaries of limted value / duplicative value

For example, if they have a realistic chance of getting KD (i.e. KD's people tell GSW that he's coming), then they'll renounce Barnes and get that $9.7M cap hold off the books. Etc.

KD of course is the big talk, but all the top teams (or teams that dream of being top teams) are chasing him with the likely exception of the Cavs who don't have the space. The Spurs are just as good of a fit if they do some remodeling. Of course I'd love to see KD with the Warriors as it's a near perfect fit.

I've thought for while that the alternative, which I'm already starting to see some writers hit, is Al Horford. He started adding the 3P shot to his game this season, rather than just the long mid-range jumper. He shot it okay, especially in an offense that was "down" this year and doesn't exactly have Klay and Steph around him, nor creators like Steph & Dray & Iggy. Smart defensive player, smart offensive player, doesn't seem to have an ego where he feels the need to score 20 PPG. He saw LMA leave Portland for SanAn, and that work out for him. If the Warriors are the kings of small ball, Al is probably the best small ball center in the league but is 6-10 rather than Green's 6-7.

In a sense, the Warriors would start a Death Line Up with Al + Dray + Iggy + Klay + Steph. They also would be better able to space out their bench rotations of having Al or Dray play C for a stretch with the bench unit.

If they have a realistic chance of getting Al, then they'll renounce Ezeli (who wants to get paid more than his $5M cap hold) and look to trade Bogut. That's $16M off the "books" right there. That's most of the way towards opening the space that Horford would probably want.

Speights may come back for less if he wants to win and likes the place. Or he may want to get paid in the same range as he currently makes. If he wants that, especially over 4 years, then the Dubs likely will renounce him and there's $7.2M. They probably would like to keep him and Barbosa, but only at the right price. $10.5M for the two of them is too pricey.

Then they'll have to figure out what to do about Barnes.

If they renounce Barnes given his cap-hold, will they (i) chance a starting-level SF, or (ii) go with Iggy as the starting SF and instead chase a back-up SF, or (iii) chase a combo type of guy who could start if they want Iggy off the bench to anchor the bench unit or switch himself to being a bench player if that isn't working.

Bogut is either a quick trade into a team that has cap space, or they might stretch him which cuts him from $11M to $3.6M on the books for 3 years.

Those great contracts that they signed Curry, Dray and Klay to give them a lot of flexibility. Their winning, success and good environment make them a team that a lot of role players like Barbosa would like to come play for, at reduced costs. This also is happening at a time when the cap is going up huge. So while "everyone has cap space, they Dubs have space and a team that Stars and Role Players would like to drop in on.

Last edited by jdw on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Dirk Nowitzki opted out of his deal and will become an unrestricted free agent. He was linked to the Warriors on the rumor sphere. As well as Durant. I guess after the way the season ended, one of Durant or Dirk could be going to the Warriors.

I dont know if I can see the Spurs do like last year, and go on a mini spree. Pending what Duncan is going to do, they're pretty much filled. They may get a role player or two, and do "the Spurs way" of hoping one of their draft picks becomes a role player or more, as well.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight Howard opted out and will become a free agent.

That should be of interest to some here.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk has a $12.5M cap hold now rather than the contract for $8.69M. That kind of puts the Mavs in a little bind:

* renounce Dirks and dump the hold / unable to re-sign Dirk
* wait for Dirk to make up his mind / extra $4M tied up

The Mavs probably want Dirk to make up his mind before the window opens so they know what they have to play with.

It's *possible* that this isn't to move somewhere else. Instead, it allows Dirk to re-sign for *less* per year, which gives the Mavs more flexibility to bring someone in.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split this off since it's about next season.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebron staying put with the Cavs. There was no chance he was going to take his talents anywhere else, after Game 7. Now if he can stay there long-term, and given that the Cavs are going to be the Favorites in the East for a while, who among the Brotherhood, affilates of the Brotherhood, and other big free agents will join him as time goes on. They would have to part with Love and/or Jr Smith.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Teague to Indiana. George Hill to Utah.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--pacers-acquire-jeff-teague-in-3-team-deal-183140010.html

Utah may have a busy offseason. Gordon Hayward is rumored to want out. I would think the Celtics would be highly interested with a reunion of his former Butler coach, Brad Stevens.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKC is an interesting move.

I don't know if some of this is aimed at thinking KD is leaving. You'd think KD wanted to play with Ibaka, though there was some buzz of Ibaka not being happy this year.

The team also often played well with Ibaka at the C and KD at the PF. No Ibaka, does that mean more KD at PF with Adams?

Oladipo can score, but he's not much of a shooter. Kind of a slasher tweener guard, which makes for an odd match with Westbrook, and an odd match for the non-shooting Roberson. He is a decent defensive player, but Lowe has pointed out that it's more in the manic fashion rather than staying on a game plan. The Thunder often have been more manic that focused on defense, so maybe that fits. The team also lacks someone who can run the point when Russ is on the bench, so perhaps there some thought there.

Obviously they like Sabonis a ton. Smart player, though he's not the passer his old man was.

Interesting.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initally I thought this was the end of the Thunder, but I remembered that Ibaka was slowly being phased out, in place of Adams or Kanter or a smaller set. There was also kind of rumors from time to time about Ibaka yelling at Westbrook.

If Waiters somehow resigns with them, that would help a little. If its the Waiters who showed up this past postseason.

This is probably not enough to sway Durant to stay. Longterm that is.
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Danny Ainge, the Celtics, Boston and the entire region of New England.

Can't believe the marks still think he's a good GM.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the thing was with the Celtics, it was rumored that Butler was going to go to Boston for most of last night's picks/some future picks/Marcus Smart/Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder. That's nearly the entire franchise. You dont do something that stupid. Just for one player. I dont have that much of a problem with Brown being drafted. They're guard heavy at the moment.

Butler was also rumored to go to Minnesota for Dunn, but talks werent that serious. Dunn in place of Rubio is a big win for the Wolves.

I think depending on if the Celtics get anyone big/decent roleplayer, they're still the biggest obstacle to the Cavs in the East. It doesnt mean they're going to shock them this year, but they're close to, with one more addition or two.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ainge is quite a good trader and acquirer of "assets".

He's not a very good drafter, as someone pointed out with the list of the Celtics #1 picks over the past run of seasons.

I don't think he really wanted all these picks unless they ended up being high end talent. Instead, it was assets that he hoped to pile up when someone like Westbrook or KD or Blake or Boogie or someone else like that hit the trade market. He had/has a ton of Stuff to be able to package for that, such as those Nets picks given the Nets are going to suck for years to come. He hasn't had luck in the lotto, not has one of those guys come open for trading... unlike when KG did.

I'd argue he's a good GM. The team turned around faster than most tankers, and still had lotto chances even while being a playoff team. That's pretty much "good GM" material.

Not sure if he's a "great GM". He'd need to win another title... and we're not rooting for that. :P
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kd-planning-to-host-free-agent-meetings-at-single-site-164954322.html

Quite a list of teams that are getting invites.
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ainge made his career on a Garnett trade that shouldn't have happened. Everything else has been shit or long laid plans that turned to shit. Fuck him and the bullshit.

Hope the Celtics are stuck at this 45-win level until Stevens takes another job.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trade of KG and Pierce to the Nets was a great trade. The trade for Thomas was terrific. Signing Stevens was terrific. The Rondo deal was excellent. The Jeff Green trade was sneaky good.

That's five. We both know that are quite a few more since the original KG deal and the title. These are things that if Mitch did them, we'd be losing our shit over what a great trader Mitch was.

I hate the Celtics just as much as you do, and the last time I pulled for Ainge doing anything was when he went coast-to-coast to bear Notre Dame.

But... he's a good GM. He's not a good drafter, and has never gotten lucky in the lotto. We should be thankful for those two things. :) But we also should man up and admit he'd a good GM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: