The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2016-2017 L.A. Lakers Thread (Keep The Hostages Alive)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: 2016-2017 L.A. Lakers Thread (Keep The Hostages Alive) Reply with quote

Yohe got his thoughts in on the last game, so we can close that one out. Time for a new thread, where hopefully we can get Byron's firing in here soon. ;)

Last edited by jdw on Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woj on the Lakers not signing Thibs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lakers-missed-their-chance-with-tom-thibodeau-211151370.html
guren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lakers already have a coach. Byron deserves a chance to coach a Kobe-less team.

Since I love a good conspiracy theory, perhaps this is Jeanie's plan to get rid of her genius brother. She knows that with Byron at the helm, the Lakers won't even be a .500 team next season unless they get Durant plus another star. If she wants to jettison Jim, keeping Byron would be an excellent start.

glenn
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't giving Thibs personnel power and I don't mind that. The last thing you should give a coach who grinds guys to death is the power to trade them.

I think it's Luke. That's the perfect Lakers play, for better or worse.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - they were never going to give him that power. I wouldn't want Thibs to have that power with the Lakers.

If they Lakers were going to get Thibs, it would have been before he had time to survey all the open spots and figure out which one he wanted, and which one would give him the keys to the kingdom.

The Lakers were stuck with the stupid Kobe retirement thing, and you don't want to bring a coach in once that's announced. So you basically would have had some point in this period to get him:

May 28, 2015 - Thibs fired
November 29, 2015 - Kobe announced he'd retire

I get the concept of giving Byron a chance for a second season, even though he proved in his first season that the game had passed him by. So we actually could narrow it to:

Oct 28, 2015 - start of season
Nov 29, 2015 - Kobe announced he'd retire

They were 2-13 when he announced it.

My thought is that after the 0-4 start against largely mediocre teams, that's when they should have sent the feeler out to Thibs. It was clear that the team was a trainwreck on the court, and the coaching was a major factor in it. That was clear in both the Summer League and in Pre Season.

See if you are close to be able to get Thibs without giving up the keys, let Byron go walk the plank on the road trip, and then fire him on Sat Nov 14 after coming home with the 1-8 record.

It's entirely possible that Thibs wanted power, and we wouldn't be able to give it to him. On the other hand, it is the LAKERS and if we're as delusional as to think we can still get all sorts of Super Stars via free agency, then we would have to be able to get free agent coaches and on terms where we're not giving away the farm.

Thibs would have been stuck with an issue of Kobe, but honestly... fuck that. In hindsight we can talk about the enjoyment of the 60 point game. But in November, none of us thought Kobe had anything in the tank. Worse, the impact on the kids and the team was horrid. If someone had to put the clamp on Kobe, might as well be an outsider coach playing the Bad Cop to take the heat off the Busses and Mitch.

I'm not the biggest Thibs fan in the world. But I do think there would be value in getting 3-4 years (including most of this one) out of him coaching these kids how to play defense. They need that core foundation, and need to get into it young like the Warriors did.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the plan is Luke after another year of Scott. If the team sucks early next year, Scott may not last long. If Walton wants to be a full time head coach, this probably is the spot for him. You would think GS's position is filled for a few years.

I just don't think Jimmy will drop out if they don't make the West Finals in 2017. If true, he should drop out now, because there is no way.---Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeanie has the Buss kid votes to get him out. That's why she brings it up in every interview.

I believe it's been lowered to 2nd round. None of it matters because she's bringing Phil back if she can.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're fucked if she does.
JAG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron fired per Woj.

Luke? Ollie?

Anyone else?

Jagdip
guren

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, the Lakers have upgraded their head coach. It doesn't really matter who they get for that to be true.

*unless they get Rambis

glenn
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why'd they wait nearly 2 weeks after the season ended? With Thibs, and Scott Brooks hired, the market is smaller than it was.

Unless they think they have an in with Luke Walton that he'll be their new coach.
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lakers-fire-coach-byron-scott-033247772.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Among some of the other names mentioned are Kevin Ollie, Jeff Van Gundy, and Spurs assistant, Ettore Messina. Messina is a very intruging name but I dont think the current Lakers braintrust will hire someone from the Pops Family Tree.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.

Stephen A was pimping Mark Jackson, which seems wildly insane of we're really thinking in that direction.

Ollie is a play for KD.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need a smart collage coach who can build something out of nothing. I think this job is too much for Walton.--Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie without Durant wouldn't be a good look. I was just glad they didn't fall for Brooks' bullshit on Durant.

Luke is getting it, considering who's making the hire, and the circumstances surrounding it.

Jagdip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: