The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2016 NFL Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: 2016 NFL Thread Reply with quote

Time to start the 2016 thread.

Browns Deny Report That They Covered For Drunk Johnny Manziel By Putting Him In Concussion Protocol

Perhaps that Browns are right in saying this isn't the case. But it is such a Browns thing that you basically believe it's true.

Last edited by jdw on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
guren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Newton shows interesting use of capitalization in his latest Instagram post

Wow.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh... are folks reading an HGH riff in that? Or does Cam just not understand that it would be read?
guren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to both.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles are officially rebooting for the 2nd straight year. They traded Murray to the Titans, and Bryon Maxwell and Kiko Alonso to Miami.

All three of them were acquired last offseason. Which is sending a message that they want to forget about the Chip Kelly era.

And yet they kept Sam Bradford.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumors of Ryan Mathews also going out.

Freed up cap space for guys they didn't want.

$17.5 --> $27.3M
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's kind of been quiet even with free agent frenzy going on, huh?

Well, let's round up what we have so far.

* Texans go all in on Brock Osweiler. It sounds like Rick Smith's job is on the line if he's going to give $37M in full guarantees for a quarterback with just seven starts who was inconsistent. When you consider the Colts should get a healthy Andrew Luck back and that they are being quiet in free agency this time around, and that the Jaguars seem to be getting better, it will be interesting to see if the Texans truly do take a step forward.

* Giants are also chasing players like Jerry Reese's job is on the line. The money they gave to Olivier Vernon was way too steep and they may have overpaid for Janorius Jenkins. The contract for Damon Harrison was fine and they were wise not to give Jason Pierre-Paul more than a year on a new deal, but this sounds like a "playoffs or bust" offseason for NYG.

* Speaking of the Jaguars, I think the deal for Malik Jackson was all right, they did fine with Tashaun Gipson's deal, but the deal for Chris Ivory was more than I would have given him. Still, they had the cap space and their owner is being patient. We'll see if they turn the corner this season.

* The Raiders spent a lot of money, too, but they took advantage of their surplus cap space and structured those deals for Kelechi Osemele and Bruce Irvin so they can cut them after two years with zero dead money if the deals don't work out. That comes at the right time, when they have to extend Derek Carr and will be nearing the extension for Khalil Mack.

* I'm still going over every contract that teams have signed, but the one that's definitely raising my eyebrows is the deal for Marvin Jones. The Lions made it an effective two-year deal but are paying a No. 2 receiver $13M this season, which sounds more like No. 1 receiver money.

* Broncos trade for Mark Sanchez, which is fine at a the cost of a seventh-round pick. I know everyone wants to make Buttfumble jokes but that was several seasons ago and he'll get a coach who might get more out of him, plus it's not like he's locked in as the starter. Even if the Broncos don't get Colin Kaepernick, you know they will draft a quarterback to develop.

More thoughts later as I look over some more of these contracts.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos QB situation is really messy. Get the sense that Brock wasn't happy with a lot of things, and the contract offer was the final straw.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey the new Los Angeles Rams had there first player arrested last week. Great having them back.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not exactly sure about the best place to put this, so I will post it here due to the Drew Brees and other NFL player content.

Drew Brees Has A Dream He'd Like To Sell You

glenn
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping JPP was probably the most important move that the Giants made. He can still be dangerous despite what happened to him last summer. They did have to make some risky moves, and I like the addition of Snacks Harrison. Their biggest defensive problem might still be the man in charge of it, Spags.

The Patriots have made a few risky moves in the past couple of days, trading one of their defensive cornerstones, Chandler Jones to Arizona for offensive lineman Jonathan Cooper and a slew of draft picks. I guess they lost faith in Jones though, after his bizarre drug episode.

They also acquired Martellus Bennett from the Bears. Now they have Gronk and Bennett as their TE's. A pretty good 1-2. Barring Brady serving his suspension, they should be fine for the playoffs and beyond.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren wrote:
I am not exactly sure about the best place to put this, so I will post it here due to the Drew Brees and other NFL player content.

Drew Brees Has A Dream He'd Like To Sell You

glenn

Good lord. Brady also has his bizzare guru dude that he's pushed.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we already have a blockbuster draft trade.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652822/article/titans-have-traded-the-no1-pick-to-the-rams

Titans send their first, fourth and sixth round picks to the Rams.

Rams send their first, both seconds, and third this year, plus a first and third next year.

That trade is good for the Titans if they can draft well, while not so good for the Rams. Sounds like they made the move because the front office was told to "win this season or you're fired."

Really, I don't see either of the top two QB draft prospects as a player that will transform the franchise. They seem more like good QBs who could have great games, but then you're talking about somebody like Joe Flacco, not somebody like Andrew Luck.

I have more thoughts on all the ramifications of the trade here (includes how other teams might be impacted).

http://in-thinair.com/2016/04/14/the-titans-rams-trade-and-what-it-means-for-others/
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
That trade is good for the Titans if they can draft well, while not so good for the Rams. Sounds like they made the move because the front office was told to "win this season or you're fired."

I don't think it's that for the Rams. The QB they pick isn't likely to make them a big winner this year. If they wanted to win big in 2016, they could have used those picks to get some current talent.

This looks more like a move to make a "splash" when arriving in LA:

* we have are future long term QB!
* he'll be ready to take it to the next level when we move into the new stadium!

They're willing to move "depth" in these two drafts for someone they think is their longer term QB.

I'm not totally sold on the move for the reason you said: there doesn't look like a major QB at the top of this draft. In which case you're probably better off building that depth and then hoping you can find a QB in the 2nd round or so who might blossom.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here we have another blockbuster trade.

http://deadspin.com/browns-trade-second-overall-pick-to-eagles-for-a-buttlo-1772077911

Eagles get the Browns' No. 2 overall pick and a fourth-round pick in 2017.

Browns get the Eagles' No. 8 overall pick, a third-round (No. 77 overall) pick, a fourth-round (No. 100 overall), their 2017 first-round pick and their 2018 second-round pick.

All this after the Eagles paid $18M to Sam Bradford for this season and gave career backup Chase Daniel $12M in full guarantees. And yet they want to sacrifice the future to get a QB that doesn't look one that will transform a franchise.

This just in: After Howie Roseman fired Chip Kelly, he kept Kelly's stash. ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: