The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015/2016 NBA Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draymond Green is staying in Golden State. Signing a 4 year/80 mil deal.

Lots of big monster contracts today.
goodhelmet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I have to say that the Spurs are handling this perfectly. They got Leonard and Green done smoothly, clearly having talked about this with the players for a while. They had the deal to move Thiago lined up to get done quickly. They went into their meeting with meeting with LMA with a clear message: we're bringing back pretty much all of the team that was one of the 2-3 best in the NBA at the end of the year when everyone was healthy, with the one big change: "we'd have you in the place of Thiago."

If I'm LMA, the only thing I would need to hear after that from the Spurs is the answer to this question:

"Pop: I'm ready to sign with the Spurs, but I need to know if you're going to stick around as coach for those four seasons of my contract."

If Pop could says yes, then I'd sign.

I am with you. If Pop knew he had LMA and Kawhi for the next 5 years, I think he sticks around, health permitting.

However, reports show the Spurs stuck to the basics. They didn't sell Hollywood like the Lakers. They didn't come in with a computer chip like Houston. They didn't have the big surprise like Chandler in Phoenix. They probably went in with the nuts and bolts of how Aldridge could fit in the Spurs machine and how they would accommodate him. No flash, no sizzle, no sauce. Pure steak. It will also show you if LMA is serious about winning a championship because the Spurs are the closest on that list in accomplishing that. Even with Duncan and Manu retiring someday, they would have a strong enough team with LMA, Kawhi and Green leading the way.

I would have mailed him a copy of this interview to watch first...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sAwWJ0BtBQ
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that Champions Revealed piece when it first got rolled out on NBA TV. I bet they have another hour of great stuff on the cutting room floor that would be awesome to see.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team that might be the biggest losers this offseason, is the Mavs. They lost Tyson Chandler, Monta Ellis, Rondo (altho that was on his end), and Aminu, who was their top reserve last year. From one of the best, on paper, lineups, to a potential Lottery team.

Dirk may not have a good swan song with the Mavs if they dont improve their roster.

Edit: after I say, they sign Jordan. They still need a little more help. But Jordan is a huge start.
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldridge to the Spurs. You could tell Pops wanted him for years.

Quote:

SB Nation NBA
‏@SBNationNBA

I have no clue. Gregg Popovich on how the Spurs have been able to contain LaMarcus Aldridge.

https://twitter.com/sbnationnba/status/464609811649544193

I cant see any other team as the favorites this year.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific off season for the Spurs.

Frightening part:

Cap is going up $40M over the next two seasons, Green was a great deal, Timmy and Manu (even in lessened deals) come off the books, and perhaps Tony is gone when his deal is up if he continues to decline. The team is going to have space to add another big star in the coming seasons. Who is to say that KD might now want to go there?
JAG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Pop's expiration date is just about up.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that part of inking LMA was Pop saying he was sticking around for a while.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manu announced he's coming back as well. And they also signed David West too, for the veteran's mininum. Which is much much less, than if went to another team.

I guess this marks the end of Diaw too.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs

I think Will is losing his mind right about now. :)

I'm not entirely sure how West fits in given a Timmy-LMA-Diaw-West rotation. Hmmm... let's take a look...

Minutes PG
28.9 Timmy (77 G)
24.5 Diaw (81)
19.8 Splitter (52)
16.0 Baynes (70)
13.0 Bonner (72)

That's ignoring Jeff Ayres' 7.5 MPG as largely garbage type of stuff.

Splitter and Baynes are gone. That's 35.8 MPG, though Baynes was inflated by Splitter's injuries last season.

If Bonner were to come back for the minimum again, he'd likely be used in specialty settings yet again (right opponent, right time of game, etc), and in more limited time.

One suspects that Timmy were be perfectly happy to reduce his playing time some more. Might have more games of Timmy taking the night off as well.

LMA might drop down from his 35 MPG. West of course is willing to drop way down in his playing time.

So perhaps Timmy-LMA-Diaw-West fill that out. Pop might do a lot of experimenting with his team, and mixing & matching line ups to opponents. You do think, though, that he's going to want to fill out the roster with stuff that matches up well with the Small-Ball Warriors units.
goodhelmet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Diaw was gone, they would have dumped his salary by now.

I want to see a breakdown in centers minutes per game last season. Duncan can bang with almost anyone in the league but with LMA next to him, he isn't really needed now as an offensive threat which he still will be since he can now just park himself around the rim and collect garbage for putbacks or assists for easy buckets. West is strong enough and more talented than almost any backup center a team decides to put on the floor.

Seriously, what team has a big stash of quality big men? Philadelphia? If teams, run small, they can put West at the 5 and Diaw at 4. Hell, I think Tim and LMA can hang with any small ball team out there.

The only issue I see right now is at the 3 when Kawhi comes out for a break. I guess Boris can roll out on bigger threes and Green can cover smaller threes.

John, you and the crew are from L.A. What are your thoughts on Slo-Mo Anderson. I didn't think he really showed anything last year and might have had the worst start of any rookie last year. However, all reports say the Spurs LOVE this kid. Should I just trust them or is this kid legit?
goodhelmet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I want to add this...

I am super excited about the Spurs but I am not counting any chickens before they hatch. I know how I felt punched in the gut when Nash and Howard went to the Lakers. I remember reading predictions on this board of adding 2 or 3 rings in an attempt to catch up to the Celtics. Then Nash played like 5 total games for you and Kobe has played like 17 games with Howard and then Howard bailed. The Spurs will be a great team as long as they are healthy.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo Williams back to the Cavs. I didnt see that one coming.

There was/is talk of Joe Johnson becoming the newest Cav. Essentially taking over JR's role. The Cavs would have to cut salary, including Varejao. Which I dont know if I see that coming. Since he's as close to Lebron as anyone on the Cavs.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodhelmet wrote:
Also, I want to add this...

I am super excited about the Spurs but I am not counting any chickens before they hatch. I know how I felt punched in the gut when Nash and Howard went to the Lakers. I remember reading predictions on this board of adding 2 or 3 rings in an attempt to catch up to the Celtics. Then Nash played like 5 total games for you and Kobe has played like 17 games with Howard and then Howard bailed. The Spurs will be a great team as long as they are healthy.

We were talking crazy talk. ;)

Health is key for the Spurs. Also... they probably want to get a good seed to avoid more tough first round matches. :P
goodhelmet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um.. if we can't get a good seed with that line-up, we don't deserve to contend. Seriously, Memphis, OKC (if healthy), Golden State and Houston feel like they stayed static, not necessarily a bad thing. The Mavs and PHX made changes but do they feel like real improvements? The Clips dropped. Portland will be a sub .500 team. Only San Antonio feels like a dramatic upgrade and they were already a killer team.

Also, nobody responded to my Slo-Mo question. Am I just missing it when it comes to this guy or should I just STFU and trust the Spurs organization who is in love with him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 3 of 33

Jump to: