The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015-2016 L.A. Lakers Thread (.500?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yohe you're wildly overreacting.

If they redid last year's draft today Russell would still go 2nd or 3rd behind KAT and Porz.

Ride it out. That's the only solution.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren wrote:
jdw wrote:
Magic wasn't much older when he got a coach fired and feuded with Nixon (eventually getting him traded as well). Only the hardcores even remember that. Winning makes everyone forget.

This is true, but I don't think the situations are remotely similar. I don't recall many prominent former players and even athletes from other sports weighing in on Magic like they are doing with DAR. I don't recall reading anything about his teammates isolating Magic when he feuded with Norm Nixon, who was a more highly respected veteran than the Swagster ever will be. There is a good chance this will all be forgotten over the off-season. Then again, it could be serious enough for someone like Kevin Durant to cross the Lakers off his list.

My only point is that Magic had his two year period of being generally thought of as a dickish spoiled brat who got his coach fired and his fellow PG backcourt mate traded. There was a lot of writing and talk at the time about it. But winning the title in 1982 with Riley was "evidence" that Magic was "right". And the team got back to the Final after Nixon was traded, and then won the following year after Magic (and Worthy's) epic choke job in the 1984 Final. Success washes the negatives away.

It's akin to Hakeem. It's largely glossed over now how bad and long of a feud he had with the Houston front office. Winning the two title washed that all away.

I'm not saying DAR is at their level. But if the team is successful and he's an all star, it will get forgotten.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Young is the victim & all John wants to talk about is Shity Pete.

Swaggy is the "victim" for fucking around behind the back of his fiance? Right.

Quote:
Because he doesn't want to admit the draft pick sucks.

Here are our rebuilding draft picks:

2014 #1-7 Julius Randle

I rarely have said anything good about Randle, and have often been critical of him. Both on these boards (which doesn't make Jag happy) and on the phone with you (and you freaking agree with me pretty much all the time).

My criticism of him has been that I don't think he's a Modern Power Forward, and I don't see how he fits in with the Lakers next Championship Contender/Winner. I'm not totally sold that he can improve into being a Modern PF, on both sides of the court.

I think that remains a valid criticism / observation about Randle. That said:

(i) he's had a better season that I expected

(ii) he might turn out to be a useful player on a Portland/Indiana level "good" to "very good" team.

That's not really a contender level type of a team, but fans in some cities are perfectly happy with 45-50 wins, 55 in a "great" season, and going out of the playoffs without really threatening to win a title. That's good, he could be good for some team with aspirations like that, he could make an all star game averaging 20-14 some year, which is great and all. I kind of have higher goals for the Lakers. Even after watching three shitty years, I don't want to Lakers to turn into a Portland type of a franchise over the next 20 years where the high end isn't truly title high.

I tend to think Steve feels that was as well deep down, even with all the talk of "I just want to watch a team that's good and the games are good". I've heard you talk enough about the Clipper being a bunch of chokers who can't win the big series in the post season. They've got an exception PG in Paul, but you dog him for not winning anything. They've got a tremendous PF in Blake, but you dog him as well. You're trying to tell me that if the Clippers switched locker rooms, had the level of core talent, but kept losing in the playoffs you'd be happy for the next 20 years? Or 5 years? I don't think so.

2014 #2-46 Jordan Clarkson

That was a tremendous pick for a 2nd rounder.

2015 #1-2 D'Angelo Russell

He's a College Sophomore who is averaging 13-3-3 in the NBA while shooting .354 from 3.

He doesn't suck. Lots of teams would be happy to take him if we were dumb enough to trade him or go all Yohe on him: "He sucks... I'm cutting him!"

2015 #1-27 Larry Nance Jr.

I don't know where he fits in long term. He can't really shoot, and his defensive position is... who knows. I like his energy, and he works hard, and he seems like a nice guy. My worry is that he's 23, he's pretty unpolished for a guy who started his last three years in college, and I don't know what room for growth he has.

2015 #2-34 Anthony Brown

I like Brown. I'm starting to think that I don't like him with our management. Perhaps the new coach will turn things around, but I've said before that I'm worried that we've screwed up what should have been another of Mitch's good 2nd round picks.

So...

I've been willing all year to be critical of the Draft Picks. I'm pretty realistic about all five of them, probably more so than most Lakers fans. But I'm also not so goofy as to think a College Sophomore who is averaging 13 points a game in the NBA and shooting above break even from 3 is a "he sucks" player. There are are 25-27 teams that drafted behind us who would love to have him.
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the same holes you do in his game, but Randle is averaging a double-double in 28 mins a game.

There will be a team that trades for that if they end up with Simmons. Or if they need to package him with the pick for a Butler or a Boogie.

He was the 7th pick and if we redid the draft where would he go? Behind Wiggins and who?

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woj has a great take on this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/woj-report-d-angelo-russell-222408145.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

His name for Young has to be seen. Its hilarious.
guren

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of a #HotTake. DAR would be Linda Tripp to Swaggy's Monica Lewinsky if someone other than Ms. Tripp would have released those tapes.

Okay, it's a stretch, but I'm bored.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
I see the same holes you do in his game, but Randle is averaging a double-double in 28 mins a game.

There will be a team that trades for that if they end up with Simmons. Or if they need to package him with the pick for a Butler or a Boogie.

He was the 7th pick and if we redid the draft where would he go? Behind Wiggins and who?

Locks ahead of him:

Andrew Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Rodney Hood
Nikola Jokic
Jordan Clarkson

Possibly ahead of him depending on the teams picking:

Aaron Gordon
Doug McDermott
Zach LaVine
T.J. Warren
Kyle Anderson
Marcus Smart

There could be some others, like if anyone out there still has a boner for someone like Dante Exum or some other player. Not likely, and Randle would probably be picked ahead of most of the "possibly" guys though I think at least one of them (probably Gordon) would go ahead of him.

He would probably go in a similar #7 spot, give or take a few slots depending on the teams picking.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobe vs Clippers... this is ugly already: 27-11 with 3 left in the 1st.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYz0I5dE_A

There's a few great cameos in this.
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe Kobe is going out without jdw or even Frank Jewett running in to bash him one last time.

;)

Might be a little dusty at my house tonight.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)

To be honest, I wish the game against the Rockets could have magically happened in Game 82. That would have been a fitting finish. Or the game against Boston, which while not efficient was at least putting on a show. He's clearly fired up to try to do it most of these games, but a lot of nights just doesn't have it. That he didn't have it in either of the Clippers games, where he badly wanted to have at least one show against them, makes it a pretty strong concern that he might not have it tonight rather than bouncing back from the OKC game.

I think we all know he's going to try.

I'm probably going to have to call Yohe to watch it. He might want to watch the Warriors instead.
guren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Can't believe Kobe is going out without jdw or even Frank Jewett running in to bash him one last time.

Those guys are mean-spirited.

glenn
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yohe wouldn't miss this.

He's only gonna retire once. Dubs gonna win by 20.

He had a good game in Sacramento when we went to see him. There's been enough glimpses where you hope he takes a long Icy Hot bath and comes out ablaze. Or has a Vortex stretch for old times' sake.

Jagdip
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's 15 points in the 1st quarter?

:)

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 with time left in the 3rd. He's gunning, so he might end up shooting .333 in the game... but he's putting on a show, the fans are loving it, and I admit to enjoying it too. :)

Yohe is in Vegas for CAC, so I have no idea where he might be watching it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40

Jump to: