The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015-2016 L.A. Lakers Thread (.500?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkson, Randle and DAR have all played worse in Mar than in Feb. DAR's scoring is slightly up, but the other numbers are down.

Not clear why. Their coach sucks, so part of it might be him. ;)
guren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sources: Lakers teammates 'isolating' D'Angelo Russell after video surfaces

Never a dull moment in Laker Land.

glenn
guren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the previous post, here are two funny Tweets by Larry Beyince @ DragonflyJonez.

Quote:
D'Angelo exposed Swaggy cheating on his girl &now his teammates dont fuck w/him. I'd be ecstatic if I was a Lakers fan. We got our next Kobe

Quote:
DAR: Swaggy shoots too much. Disrupts our rhythm. Takes my touches. What should I do?
Kobe: Ruin his life.
DAR:..huh?
Kobe: RUIN. HIS. LIFE.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts on this:

#1 - DAR is an idiot

I can only guess that this is the younger generation that thinks about tossing everything out there and not having good sense on what's Off Limits / Off The Record / What Happens On The Road Stays On The Road, etc.

I'm not a big fan of all those Old School vs New School arguments, as most are nonsensical. I also don't care to defend Swaggy banging around behind his girl's back. But there are a whole lot of people who don't grasp public/private in a world that's changing to make much more public. This is Swaggy's shit, and you just don't tape it. On any level it's just dumb. Even if Swaggy doesn't care that you're taping it and likes to brag like that all the time, don't these people read about the Celebrity Hacks that have made public a lot of uncomfortable pics, videos and e-mails? Just dumb.

#2 - Swaggy is toxic and the Lakers were insane not to just get rid of him

I get that the Lakers were trying to find someone to take his contract off their hands. I also get that the entire league knows he's an idiot, and no one wants to pay him that jack. Someone might take him into their cap room (and then cut him) in return for some pick, probably a #2. But no one was actively looking to take him from the Lakers.

I blame 50% of Swaggy being toxic on Swaggy. Dude is a choad on and off the court. I get that some of his teammates like him as a fun loving guy, but he's shit on the court and a nut off.

But 50% of this has to come down to Mitch and Jim. They could have stretched Swaggy at any point from Sep 1 on:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

Quote:
If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year.

Here's what Swaggy was owed beyond this season:

2017: $5,443,918
2018: $5,668,667

That's $11,112,585, that could be stretched out over 5 season against the cap: 2 years * 2 + 1 = 5 years. That's just $2,222,517 of cap space, which isn't a big deal.

The original extension for Swaggy was stupid, but the team suck and he could shoot, so what the heck. But as soon as it was clear in the off season that they couldn't trade him (because NO ONE wanted him), they needed to get rid of him on Sep 1. You just don't want an idiot like Swaggy around a team of kids.

Add on the fact that Swaggy started the season as the back up SF coming in when Kobe went out:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201510280LAL.html

Randle --> Kelly
Hibbert --> Bass
Clarkson+DAR --> Williams / Harpo
Kobe --> Swaggy

That was taking up playing time that should have gone to someone like Brown rather than a 30 year old idiot.

This is pretty much a cherry on top of the Shit Sundae that has been the Lakers season. The one player on the team who has star potential has been screwed with all season by his coach, took forever to get it together, is sliding late and now his teammates have issues with him. Classic. :/
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's terrible. I don't care about Shity Pete. But we wasted a whole season to get Russell. There is no way that something good can come out of this.

I'd fire the people who drafted the fucking kid.

I saw nothing in him from the beginning. It's the same thing in any group of men. There is a code. It's part of being able to live together. If someone in the Army had done something like that......he could have gotten himself killed. It's no joke. I feel sorry for Shity Pete's girl friend. Not dumping him might hurt her career....if she was something other than a rap star.

You got to trade Russell & get what you can. You just got to cut Shity Pete & wave your 10 mil goodbye. You screwed up when you signed him.

This is the worst thing to ever happen to the Lakers....we have never been this low.

You need to get respectable people back running the team. And Mitch has to go, he was in charge of the draft picks and everything else.

You need to make the decision & stand by it, to only have people playing for & being around the team, with good character. And you need someone running the show who can see good character when it's there.

So you got Kobe going around telling people that he enjoys teaching the kids. So can you see the next step being Kobe as the coach. He is not walking away.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our problem is we let Jerry West walk. Who fucked that up? You know where West is now!!! His team is getting ready to break the old Laker record of 69 wins. It is no accident than GS is what it is & West is there. I'll pay Jerry West 10 mil a year to sit in a Laker office two days a week under any title he wants. It would mean more to winning than giving away 10 mil to Shity Pete.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't trade DAR now when everyone is going to try to lowball you.

This is still a kid (19 at the star of the year and would be a Sophomore in college) who after the All Star break has averaged 16-3-4 on .409 shooting from 3 point range. You don't trade kids like that when their value is artificially low.

That's a move dumb teams make.
guren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
That's a move dumb teams make.

I tend to agree, but the Lakers will need to monitor the reaction around the league. In particular, they will need to determine if keeping Russell will impact their ability to lure free agents. Either way, I think Mitch should make a call to Sam Hinkie in the off-season. DAR for Embiid would be an interesting deal.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dumb team. No one will want to play with him.---Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't trade Russell because they were dumb enough to surround him and the other pups with a moron like Nick Young.

Russell is going to be a stud. Ride this out and no one will give a shit in a year.

Guys aren't to pass on the Lakers, because a 19-year-old fucked up.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic wasn't much older when he got a coach fired and feuded with Nixon (eventually getting him traded as well). Only the hardcores even remember that. Winning makes everyone forget.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://deadspin.com/nick-young-is-done-with-2016-you-guys-1768294900

From January to the present, Swaggy has been averaging 6-2-1 in 19 minutes a game on .261 FG% (!!!!!) & .250 3P% (!!!) shooting. While playing SHITTY defense.

Dude is 30 years old, not some 20 year old you hope turns it around.

WTF is he still doing on the team?

He sucked in January, and when he still suck in Feb, why in the hell didn't we cut him and stretch his contract?

Mitch & Jim need to get their asses kicked over this, let alone other dumb roster moves.

This is Sterling Clippers level stuff.
guren

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Magic wasn't much older when he got a coach fired and feuded with Nixon (eventually getting him traded as well). Only the hardcores even remember that. Winning makes everyone forget.

This is true, but I don't think the situations are remotely similar. I don't recall many prominent former players and even athletes from other sports weighing in on Magic like they are doing with DAR. I don't recall reading anything about his teammates isolating Magic when he feuded with Norm Nixon, who was a more highly respected veteran than the Swagster ever will be. There is a good chance this will all be forgotten over the off-season. Then again, it could be serious enough for someone like Kevin Durant to cross the Lakers off his list.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic did the right thing at the time & everyone knew it. He was our hero. Everything that followed was because he stood up & did it. It's nothing like this.

So how did this tape get on line. Did he get hacked...did he post it...or (most likely) did he send it to a friend & the friend give it out. I've hear the story about the rival rap star trying to get back at his girlfriend.

Not taking about this teams or sports....as a man....he is the total shits. On a personal side to it, everyone will remember it whenever they see him. He will never be trusted.

Young is the victim & all John wants to talk about is Shity Pete. Because he doesn't want to admit the draft pick sucks.

There not going to do nothing. They'll just ride it out. If the asshole plays good, nothing much will be said. But if he continues to suck, look out. When ever something goes bad, it will be there.

Why would any free agent come here. No one remembers when the Lakers were respectable.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to stop posting on the Lakers until something good happens.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 38 of 40

Jump to: