The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colts were great. Called a 4pm press conference. It was delayed for more than an hour without any word. Then they announced they weren't making any decision. One can only guess that Irsay had to go to a bar to "think things over" some more.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well something must have happened today, because not only is Chuck Pagano staying. He signed a 4-year contract extension. So he's going to be with the Colts for a while.

I guess with how the AFC South is year after year, and also the various injuries to Andrew Luck this year, had something to do with it. And that the Colts nearly made the playoffs with Luck out too.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheetah and I started watching something else, so tired of the cancelled press conference. Then between one of the things we were watching we flipped back to NFL Network, and we gobsmacked that they announced Pagano was staying.

"Our idiot liquored up owner." -paraphrasing Payton
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to love Johnny Football:

http://deadspin.com/report-johnny-manziel-partied-in-vegas-with-a-fake-wig-1751058216
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wondering why Trent Baalke has a job with the Niners. God, is Jed York delusional about Baalke. Poor job of drafting in recent seasons, signed the wrong free agents, and his team was contending for the playoffs thanks largely to Harbaugh.

This is how franchises remain bad.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poor drafts especially hurt as the club collected all those draft picks. What could have been gold got blown.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Payton staying put in New Orleans.

So that means the Giants, Eagles, Miami, the 49ers, Browns, and maybe Tennessee. 5, perhaps 6 openings.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Mickey Loomis is sticking around. There's another guy who fucked up the salary cap situation and signed the wrong players.

Saints need to rebuild, but I have my doubts that Loomis will see that. He probably thinks they are just a few players away from playoff contention when they really aren't.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's always a surprise firing every year. And this year its Tampa Bay, as they fired Lovie Smith. Its a surprise, because the team improved a bit over the past year, and Jameis Winston has exceeded expectations. So there's a chance that both Winston and Mariota will have something else in common. Two years and two different coaches each year.

Also Florio is saying that the Packers might can Mike Mccarthy if they lose to Washington. That could throw a wrench in the teams looking to hire coaches quickly. Teams like the 49ers and Browns might not compete with the opportunity to coach Aaron Rodgers.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly they fired Smith because Dirk Koetter was being interviewed for other jobs and they wanted to promote him.

Strange way of doing business, but then again, the Bucs have been pretty bad at that for the past few years.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Glazers are a trainwreck. :)
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first coaching vacancy has been filled as Miami will hire Adam Gase. I guess they want the same results for Ryan Tannehill, as Jay Cutler, under Gase's watch. That's the main reason, to build up the Franchise QB.

Meanwhile there's some rumors that the Eagles are interested in Tom Coughlin. That seems remote at best. Still if Coughlin decides to coach somewhere else, one wonders if Eli will follow him. He was very emotional during Coughlin's final address to him. And unless they stay inhouse with Mcadoo, I can see Eli wanting to bolt. It seems like a longshot, but stranger things have happened in the NFL.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It official: The Rams are returning to LA, specifically Inglewood. The Chargers could be following them, and sharing their stadium.

That leaves the Oakland Raiders out.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess on the Raiders is that they were strong armed to see:

(i) the NFL will help them with loan money to cover the Raiders side of the cost of new stadium

(ii) that the Rams & Chargers moving opens up opportunities to fleece St Louis and SD out of new stadiums when they get desperate for football again

In the past 30 years, set of musical chairs happened several times:

BAL
Colts leave in 1984
new stadium built for Browns in 1996

STL
Cards leave in 1988
new stadium built for Rams in 1995

CLE
Browns leave in 1996
new stadium built for expansion in 1999

HOU
Oilers leave in 1997
new stadium built for expansion in 2002

STL will get desperate again, as will SD. They are the #21 & #18 metros in the country respetively. Team will use the thread of moving their to hold up their current city for new stadiums. Someone will eventually to move there when they're city refuses to build them a new stadium.

The Raiders will be the first to do it, with SD itself. Jack Murphy is likely an upgrade to their current dump, and they would have the town to themselves. With SD gone, SD will face that departure wasn't a threat but a reality. In turn, it's a stronger threat now to OAK / the Bay Area rather than a hypothetical move to LA, and also the Raiders now can dangle some faux "building contribution" money that the NFL would be loaning them.

So the Raiders won't be out in the cold for long.

Same old same old.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about the Rams now, is I cant see them starting Case Keenum, or Nick Foles. With the move to LA, I think they're going to either draft a QB or get someone like Kaepernick. But clearly, Gurley is going to be the face of the Rams.

It does make sense to retain Jeff Fisher, despite their record as of late. He coached the Titans when they moved from Houston (Oilers) So maybe the Rams feel, that he can have a similar success in LA. They just need the right QB to take the next step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: