The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/2015 Futbol Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Everton's main shareholder (almost 50%) sold to Farhad Moshiri, an Iranian businessman who used to own a chunk of Arsenal. I don't know what this will actually mean in the long run - for every Manchester City being bought by a deep-pocketed owner there's an Aston Villa. (Not the same thing of course. I mean, there's deep pockets, and then there's the rulers of Abu Dhabi.) But if Moshiri can put the club on a firmer financial footing, Everton can certainly stay long-term in the top third of the PL, occasionally challenging for a CL spot.

ManU beat Arsenal 3-2 at Old Trafford. Everything is set up for Arsenal to win the league this year - Chelsea, United, and Liverpool all having terrible years, and City has a lame duck manager and squad. There's still plenty of time, and their schedule is relatively light - only tough matches I see are away at Spurs, Everton, West Ham, and City. If they can't do it this year, that's a real black mark on Wenger.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Ramble took a look at Everton's finances back in November:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2015/11/everton-behind-blue-eyes.html

The club makes a ton of money on a global level, but all EPL teams do given the television deals. The clubs has done a great job bringing down the debt, which is more reflected in Swiss' prior Everton articles from years ago where he talk more about what a mess the books were.

The clubs really needs:

* new / rebuilt stadium

The lag on gate revenue.

* consistent "good" play that can send up Commercial Revenue

They really lage there. It's close to impossible to challenge the Really Big Boys in commercial revenue unless they had the Oil Money Mega Sugar Daddy like Chelsea and City. But Spurs are probably a good model to chase, and Spurs commercial revenue is twice as much as Everton's.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messi was in one of his moods today - scoring a terrific goal, assisting two for Neymar with defense splitting passes, and making another with a brilliant lob to set up an own goal. He even missed a penalty just to remind us all that he actually is human. Days like this remind me of the old line about MJ - nobody does anything better than Leo Messi plays football.

Chelsea-Everton in the FA Cup coming shortly. We were dumped out of the CL by PSG, possibly the last CL game we'll see for a while, so this is our last chance at silverware.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messi was off the charts yesterday. :)

FA Cup is setting up nicely for United with Chelsea and the Gunners getting bounced, leaving Everton was the remaining good team. Of course United had to go play for crap today, then struggle to force a replay. More trainwreck playing for the team.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Champions League Quarterfinal Draw
Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid
Bayern Munich vs Benfica
Real Madrid vs Wolfsburg
PSG vs Manchester City

Barca-Atleti and PSG-City look to be the ties of the round.

Europa League Quarterfinal Draw
Borussia Dortmund vs Liverpool
Braga vs Shakhtar Donetsk
Villarreal vs Sparta Prague
Athletic Bilbao vs Sevilla

Brutal draw for Pool. That's probably the match up that UEFA & television wanted for the Final.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good win for Chelsea today, with the rather large caveat of it being against a desperately poor Aston Villa shit show that should be relegated straight to League One. Starts for Ruben, Kenedy, Baba and Matt Miazga, debuts for Pato and Jake Clarke-Salter. I thought Ruben looked very good and was glad to see him bag a goal. Miazga looked okay, not much to do defensively but made some nice passes. Pato has been a joke but he was surprisingly good. Won and converted a penalty, got hockey assist on a nice one-two with Oscar to set up Pedro's first, had a chance to score when wide open in the box but Baba selfishly shot instead, and I think he took the shot that Guzan parried for Pedro's second. Not bad.

I hope to see more of these experimental lineups in the remaining games. RLC should play every minute the rest of the way.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spurs vs Pool was a wide open game making for an entertaining watch, even if the scoring wasn't off the charts.

Clasico was a terrific first half, even without scoring. The second half was the 3 goals, but slowed down quite a bit. Barca slowed down too much, to the point that after Ramos went off they couldn't crank up their offense and ended up getting caught on the counter for the game winner.

I would be a little worried off this going into the game on Tue against Atletico.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Arsenal drew 3-3 at West Ham today. They're 10 points behind Leicester with 6 games left, but will have a game in hand since Leicester and Tottenham both play tomorrow. Andy Carroll scored a hat trick for West Ham. Once or twice a season he'll remind you why clubs paid so much money for him. Then he'll get hurt again.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really annoyed to see Barca go out. I'm rooting for Atletico or Munchen because it would be painful to see Real or City win the thing. :P
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Utd beat Aston Villa 1-0 to doom Villa to relegation. Just a massive failure on every conceivable level for the largest club in England's second largest city to be relegated.

Everton drew Southampton at home by blowing another lead. Plenty of talk about getting rid of Martinez but I don't know who they could get that would be a better manager - the Klinsmann talk earlier this week was ridiculous as well as a downgrade.

Tom
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is happening to Barcelona? After going 39 unbeaten, they jobbed to Atletico in the CL and only have one point from their last four games in La Liga, including three straight losses.

They're now even on points with Atletico (edging them due to head-to-head record), and one point ahead of Real.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

I'm guessing that Merseyside derby is not how Everton wants to cap their season. They have a chance for redemption on the weekend against United. Two teams that aren't at all happy with their seasons. :/
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Tom:

I'm guessing that Merseyside derby is not how Everton wants to cap their season. They have a chance for redemption on the weekend against United. Two teams that aren't at all happy with their seasons. :/

Yeah, that did not go well. The defense is just a disaster, and if Stones leaves this summer it's not going to get much better.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Everton loses in the FA Cup semi final 1-2 to Manchester United, on a stoppage time goal from the brilliant Anthony Martial. The frustrating thing about Utd this season is how dull they are - say what you will about Sir Alex but his teams were rarely boring. Rooney was pretty good yesterday, but appears to be done as a top-level forward. There's (at least theoretically) plenty of attacking talent: Mata and Martial of course, but Rashford is a great finisher at least, and Lingard has shown flashes. Why they're so bloody boring seems to be down to the manager.

Speaking of managers, plenty of talk of course about getting rid of Martinez. Like I said above, I don't see that there's an upgrade out there. Lukaku is most likely gone this summer (he'd certainly be an upgrade for Utd, Chelsea, or Arsenal), and they'll need to carefully spend that cash in order not to take a serious step back to mid-table mediocrity.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Greaves wrote:
Speaking of managers, plenty of talk of course about getting rid of Martinez. Like I said above, I don't see that there's an upgrade out there.

Manuel Pellegrini?

He did well at Villarreal and Malaga, in addition to his time at Big Clubs. He's been here in the EPL for 3 seasons, so it's not like he needs to start at ground zero of learning the league.

That would be the value in firing Martinez *now* and going caretaker: it lets you go out and talk to Pellegrini's people openly and not behind the back of your current manager. After all, Pellegrini already has essentially been fire from City at the end of the year with his successor already names.

I don't think you guys want to end up going off the trash bin looking for guys like Brendan Rodgers. I kind of like Rodgers, but it's also clear that some things went off the bend there last year and this season. Losing Suarez was a big blow, there were other issues, but Brendan was one of the issues.

Perhaps he's someone like Moyes who is better at club with less pressure, and less egocentric players, having time to work his system and with players hungry to make a mark.

Quote:
Lukaku is most likely gone this summer (he'd certainly be an upgrade for Utd, Chelsea, or Arsenal), and they'll need to carefully spend that cash in order not to take a serious step back to mid-table mediocrity.

I kind of think it would be insane for us to chase Lukaku. We paid this for Martial:

http://screamer.deadspin.com/read-the-transfer-agreement-between-manchester-united-a-1753686550

It will almost certainly 70M in the end. He's a decent winger, but a much better striker than winger. He also is a very hard working player out of possession. You don't buy another striker to send the 70M one you have to the bench, or to play out wide.

In addition to that, if we're playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, you kind of want some of that extra playing time to find out what Rashford has as the #2 or #3 striker.

If we're bringing in Mou, he already has shown he has zero love for Lukaku with the Loan and then Sale, especially since the Loan came at a time when Chelsea had no depth at striker and really could have used Lukaku as at least the #2. Martial is kind of Mou's type of striker: movement, drags defenses around, speed if needed, and busts his ass out of possession.

If it's Mou, we need real Mou style wide players... i.e two-way with the exception of Ronaldo. Memphis can barely play for LVG because he doesn't stay on plot defensively... and LVG okay'd his purchase after coaching him on the national team. What in the heck does that say about Memphis, and the chances of Mou liking him if he doesn't work on the side. We already know that Mou hates Mata. I have no idea how Rooney fits into Mou's old 4-3-3... he's not really an "in the middle" guy in Mou's 4-2-3-1 like Ozil was (counter-attack-link-master) or Oscar was last season when in form. Er...

We're a big mess for Mou to clean up. We have way too few players who fit him. I suspect Herrera could as a linking 4-3-3 CMF - hard working, creative without being wasteful. Schneiderlin is a natural HMF/DMF. I like peak Matic more, but there's something wrong with Matic this year, and Schneiderlin last season wasn't terribly far removed from it. CB's aren't as error-free as Mou wants, and out FB are a unholy mess with Shaw wasting two years of development with injuries, being fat and goofy coaching. And our best player is likely headed to Real Madrid to get away from this mess: De Gea.

Yeah... Martial is about the only one who is staying who you really feel comfortable fitting into Mou's role. Though Mou may like playing him "wide" in a 4-3-3 like he did with Eto'o in Inter in 2010.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: