The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/2015 Futbol Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: 2014/2015 Futbol Thread Reply with quote

Time to open this! :)

Technically the WC is part of 2013/14, but... I'm open to thoughts on whether to toss it in this one can insticky the 2013/14 one after the Champions League... or keep this just focused on next season and toss the WC stuff in 2013/14 thread.

Thoughts? :)

Last edited by jdw on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Mauricio Pochettino of Southampton is the #1 choice for the Spurs spot now that Track Suit Timmy was given the boot. CFC had a pair of pieces on him:

Tottenham Hotspur manager shortlist: Mauricio Pochettino

Talking Pochettino and Spurs with Southampton blogger Connor Armstrong

I always like pieces like the second one: you can get a lot of insight from a fan of a manager's current/past teams when trying to figure out what he'll do for you.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis van Gaal a done deal for United.

The transfer silly season will be insane. At least one rumor already was killed off:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/12/marco-reus-manchester-united-borussia-dortmund

FWIW, the Guardian is half wrong on the release clause: it only kicks in NEXT summer, not this.

Of course there are Cesc rumors up, which I'll believe when I see it. :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastern Times as always...

Saturday
4:45am West Ham vs Manchester City (NBCSN
7:00am Sunderland vs Arsenal (NBCSN)
9:00am Real Madrid vs Barcelona (BeiN)

Sunday
6:30am Tottenham vs Newcastle (NBCSN)
9:00am Manchester United vs Chelsea (NBC)

El Clasico on Saturday, and Chelsea beating up United on Sunday. ;)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beast Of Brazil: A Savage Trip To The Dark Heart Of The World Cup
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see if we can troll Simon over here...

When we last left off, Chelsea were vying for the EPL Championship, and United sucked.

Nothing has changed!!!

:P
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except this time we're gonna win it. :)

Really liking this team so far, last few games notwithstanding.

We're not esepcially deep, but the first XI is pretty frggin great. All of the regulars have been terrific aside from Cahill and Schurrle - Cesc's killer passing, Hazard slicing through teams, Costa battling for goals, Matic beasting people, Oscar doing Oscar things.

The defense has let in some questionable goals but I think it's been down to shaky individual moments popping up from time to time rather than any systemic problems. I'm a little unsure of Terry & Cahill playing a high line, but Mou has shown he won't hesitate to go back to an ultra-defensive system if we start leaking goals. And with a BMF like Courtois behind them, I'm not terribly worried.

The only real problems we've had so far are (i) a bit of complacency and (ii) the long standing finishing woes. I can't imagine Jose will let (i) be too much of an issue, and Costa & Remy have helped a lot with (ii).

The PL kinda blows this season. United & Liverpoololol are each a mess, City is wobbling, Arsenal have had their usual injury crises, and Spurs haven't got the expected lift from replacing Tactics Tim with an actual manager. Barring injury (or City getting their shit together and going on a monstrous run), we really ought to win the league. Wouldn't mind if we snagged a cup or two as well. :)

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Chelsea team.

Hoback's new favorite player in the world is Matic... when he isn't loving Costa for being a nutty striker (James has a soft spot for nutty strikers... as long as they don't bite people). :P

Mou is working the mind games. He's working the Squad Rotation. He's working the Strategic Campaigning, picking games to pack it in and games to attack and games to mix it up. He's working the "Let's see if we can compete in Everything", even if he's a little subtle about it (see the Jobber Cup where you're already in the 5th round and have jobber Derby County next). He's setting himself up to win the EPL and be in position for one of the other Cups to drop in his lap. This is what Mou loves to do:

2002/03 Porto: Primeira Liga + Taca de Portugal + UEFA Cup
2003/04 Porto: Primeira Liga + Champions League
2004/05 Chelsea: EPL + League Cup
2005/06 Chelsea: EPL
2006/07 Chelsea: FA Cup + League Cup
2008/09 Inter: Serie A
2009/10 Inter: Serie A + Coppa Italia + Champions League
2010/11 Madrid: Copa del Rey
2011/12 Madrid: La Liga

Only at Madrid did he fail to get some kind of Double at least once... mostly due to Barca blocking them. Like Fergie, he's just flat out one of the best at running a "campaign", which I use in the sense of a military campaign where you focus on more than just the current "battle" (i.e. game) but instead the War (i.e. season) on a whole. You look at upcoming battles, and look at how to do battle in several areas at once. In a sense, Fergie and Mou are like U.S. Grant being able to juggle a variety of battles and fronts at ones... or Marshall and Ike in WWII.

Which should scare the hell out of the rest of the EPL. :P

The signing of Matic by him last January was exceptional... which is kind of funny because he was exactly what United needed last SUMMER! :P In turn, adding a versatile CMF like Cesc to the MF was genius: he can play in front of Matic, know that he has the equiv of Busquets behind him, he can join the attack, he can float around, and also have Mou hammer into his head that he also needs to keep mindful of his defensive responsibilities. Just an exceptional signing, especially after United spent months chasing him and then thinking they had him for this year. :)

The only worry I would have is about Costa staying healthy. If he gets banged up and Chelsea are deep in Champions League against the biggest of the big boys, I'd worry about having to rely on Drogba in a big QF or SF. I think Drogba is okay against your lower table / mid-table EPL teams and CL jobbers, and might even be fine in spots against some of the upper EPL teams since the EPL kind of blows as you say. But against Munchen or Madrid or some of the other guys in Europe... worry.

I wonder if Mou might make a move in January for a Forward/Striker if he sees another Matic type of opportunity. Avoid buying a Big Star that would have to be played, but instead someone who could fit into what might be a very congested schedule (EPL+CL+FAC+LC), getting games here and there, and providing cover for injury.

I much prefer talking about Chelsea than my crappy team. :P
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hoback's new favorite player in the world is Matic...

I'm with him in the Matic Marching and Chowder Society. He is a remarkable player. I'm not as down on John Obi Mikel as many, but he's kind of a homeless man's Matic. The Serb is a more physical, more commanding, better tackler, and most importantly a far better passer than the Chelsea version of Mikel. It's been a giant upgrade. Kinda sucks that we had to shell out £21m for a player we once owned, but getting £20m+ more than we had any right to expect for David Luiz certainly made it more palatable.

I wasn't sure how a Matic-Cesc pivot would work and their were some initial wobbles. Some thought Matic was subpar to start the season, but I think it was primarily due to the positional indiscipline of Fabregas. Mostly it was his Gerrard-like tendency to be drawn toward the ball that left Matic covering a large area by himself. I assume it was habitual leftover pressing from Barca, but Mou appears to have gotten that out of him and he's been much better positionally, picking his spots to get forward. Oscar has shown a nice understanding to switch with him when needed. For bigger games requiring a more robust midfield, I suspect we'll see Ramires thrown in for a 4-3-3 that should be super solid but still incisive.

Quote:
when he isn't loving Costa for being a nutty striker

I friggin love Costa. Chelsea's a graveyard for strikers (Torres, Sheva, Kezman, Ba, etc.) so I was a bit worried about laying out big money for yet another one, but he's done even better than I could ever have hoped. His street fighter style is perfect for the PL. He's even a more proto-Mou striker than Drogba. Much like Mourinho trolls other managers, Costa is a supreme troll of defenders. His Nelson Muntz reaction to Seamus Coleman's own goal after their match long battle in the Everton game was classic. Like Mou, he's the kind of guy you love when he's on your side but loathe when he's not. God help his hamstrings and I think we'll be in good position to contend for a lot of silverware.

Quote:
He's working the Squad Rotation. He's working the Strategic Campaigning, picking games to pack it in and games to attack and games to mix it up.

We haven't seen that much rotation yet, but I'm sure we will once the games start coming thick and fast in the next few months. I'd like to see Kurt Zouma get some time in place of Gary Cahill against weaker PL sides, not just the Crap Cup. Mou has compared Zouma to Varane, which is high praise indeed. Schurrle has been pants so far this season but hopefully he can find form and provide an occasional break for Hazard. I thought the Filipe Luis signing was a bit odd, but he's great backup. If Azpi is out, Luis fills in (as we saw with the suspension). If Ivan goes down, Azpi slides over to his natural position and Luis fills in on the left. As long as two of them are available, we've got a top notch fullback duo.

There's not a ton of depth there so an injury at the wrong time could be bad news, but if everyone's healthy I think we're in great shape.

Quote:
The signing of Matic by him last January was exceptional... which is kind of funny because he was exactly what United needed last SUMMER!

Not just United, but how much better would Liverpool and especially Arsenal look with Matic in their starting XI? Even City could use him since Fernando hasn't been that great and Yaya can't be bothered to defend.

Quote:
I wonder if Mou might make a move in January for a Forward/Striker if he sees another Matic type of opportunity. Avoid buying a Big Star that would have to be played, but instead someone who could fit into what might be a very congested schedule (EPL+CL+FAC+LC), getting games here and there, and providing cover for injury.

I think Remy is supposed to be that guy. Hopefully he could hold the fort in the event of a Costa injury. (Well, hopefully Costa will remain healthy, but you know what I mean.) He's a different kind of player to Costa, not gonna harrass defenders in the same way (who does?) but he's a good finisher and has looked good in limited playing time so far.

Quote:

I much prefer talking about Chelsea than my crappy team. :P

The United-Leicester game was one of the most entertaining things I've seen in ages. :P

I've never had any real beef with United, or least what enmity I did have was fueled by bitter envy of their success rather than anything more sinister (like Liverpool). That said, after this summer's veneration of LVG as the man who invented modern football, I'm particularly enjoying their troubles. The massive injury problems have obviously not helped, but really, are we really supposed to believe that missing Evans, Smalling, and Jones is what has been holding them back? The side is woefully unbalanced and I have no idea what prompted them to spend £16m to loan Falcao when they already had Rooney, RVP, Mata, ADM, Januzaj etc in attack.

I hated to give up the last minute equalizer in the Chelsea-United game, but I did get a kick out of RVP and Old Trafford celebrating a last gasp home draw like they'd just won the World Cup. :)

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midline Shift wrote:
Quote:
Hoback's new favorite player in the world is Matic...

I'm with him in the Matic Marching and Chowder Society. He is a remarkable player. I'm not as down on John Obi Mikel as many, but he's kind of a homeless man's Matic. The Serb is a more physical, more commanding, better tackler, and most importantly a far better passer than the Chelsea version of Mikel. It's been a giant upgrade. Kinda sucks that we had to shell out £21m for a player we once owned, but getting £20m+ more than we had any right to expect for David Luiz certainly made it more palatable.

£50M Luiz = £21M Matic + £27M Cesc + £2M Cash Money

:)

I mean... that's basically nuts.

Quote:
I wasn't sure how a Matic-Cesc pivot would work and their were some initial wobbles. Some thought Matic was subpar to start the season, but I think it was primarily due to the positional indiscipline of Fabregas. Mostly it was his Gerrard-like tendency to be drawn toward the ball that left Matic covering a large area by himself. I assume it was habitual leftover pressing from Barca, but Mou appears to have gotten that out of him and he's been much better positionally, picking his spots to get forward.

It was going to take Mou a little time to get Cesc to play Mou-Ball rather than Wenger-Ball or Barca-Ball. I tend to think Matic was fine early in the season, but was in that Carrick-like position of being made to look bad because of his CMF mates (and other players) not doing their job and leaving him over run. People notice Carrick being made to look bad, but never got how it was others that caused the problem.

Quote:
Oscar has shown a nice understanding to switch with him when needed. For bigger games requiring a more robust midfield, I suspect we'll see Ramires thrown in for a 4-3-3 that should be super solid but still incisive.

Yep. Mou has the roster that will let him play 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

I love Oscar... Willian is a terrific hard working player with lots of skill and pace. Hazard is wacky good, though can be flaky at times. Schurrle is just the type of roster player a great team wants since he can spot in a variety of roles and seems okay coming off the bench a lot.

Really good roster.

Quote:
I friggin love Costa. Chelsea's a graveyard for strikers (Torres, Sheva, Kezman, Ba, etc.) so I was a bit worried about laying out big money for yet another one, but he's done even better than I could ever have hoped. His street fighter style is perfect for the PL. He's even a more proto-Mou striker than Drogba. Much like Mourinho trolls other managers, Costa is a supreme troll of defenders. His Nelson Muntz reaction to Seamus Coleman's own goal after their match long battle in the Everton game was classic. Like Mou, he's the kind of guy you love when he's on your side but loathe when he's not. God help his hamstrings and I think we'll be in good position to contend for a lot of silverware.

The worry about his hammies is that he's going to have to work a lot. Mou wants to play him, and Spain wants/needs to play him if he's on form.

On his facials... yeah, Costa's great. He's just a nasty son of a gun. :)

Quote:
We haven't seen that much rotation yet, but I'm sure we will once the games start coming thick and fast in the next few months.

I think he has a bit. For example:

Filipe Luis = Champions League
Azpilicueta = EPL

He's mixed Willian & Schurrle around a bit, rested Oscar at times.

He's fielded some first team players in the League Cup, then given them Champions League time off (Cahill and Oscar for example).

The schedule isn't so loaded yet that he has to rotate a ton, but he's laying the foundation for it. Sir Alex would do the same thing, setting up for when the fixture list starts getting congested if (i) we stayed in the LC, and (ii) went a few rounds in the FA Cup. Mou knows how to do this.

If Chelsea keeps pulling away from real contenders in the EPL (8 points over City now), then you'll see him in the second half of the year work in some lighter squads for EPL while focusing on closing out some of those Cups he also wants. :)

Quote:
I'd like to see Kurt Zouma get some time in place of Gary Cahill against weaker PL sides, not just the Crap Cup. Mou has compared Zouma to Varane, which is high praise indeed.

Mou will work him in. A pair of Jobber Cup starts and a pair of Champions League starts. Not bad. If you get through Derby County in Jobber Cup, which you should, it means:

Nov-22-2014: vs West Brom (EPL)
Nov-25-2014: vs Schalke (CL)
Nov-29-2014: vs Sunderland (EPL)
Dec-03-2014: vs Spurs (EPL)
Dec-06-2014: vs Newcastle (EPL)
Dec-10-2014: vs Sporting (CL)
Dec-13-2014: vs Hull (EPL)
Dec-16-2014: vs Derby (EPL)
Dec-22-2014: vs Stoke (EPL)
Dec-26-2014: vs West Ham (EPL)
Dec-28-2014: vs Southampton (EPL)
Jan-01-2015: vs Spurs (EPL)
Jan-03-2015: FAC R3
Jan-10-2015: vs Newcastle (EPL)
Jan-17-2015: vs Swansea (EPL)
Jan-19-2015: LC SF:1
Jan-24-2016: FAC R4
Jan-26-2015: LC SF:2
Jan-31-2015: vs Man City (EPL)

That's pretty much two games a week after the Int'l break through the end of Feb. It's not as if things get easier in Feb if the club is still in the FAC and gets to the LC Final.

So I think that's what Mou is using the Jobber Cup and the easier CL fixtures for: get other guys in the rotation playing in prep for things getting batshit... and people getting hurt.

Sir Alex would do the same thing. He was especially good at using his Champions League group stage games to rotate people around in. He loved lock into advancing as quickly as possible to give him more freedom.

Quote:
I thought the Filipe Luis signing was a bit odd, but he's great backup. If Azpi is out, Luis fills in (as we saw with the suspension). If Ivan goes down, Azpi slides over to his natural position and Luis fills in on the left. As long as two of them are available, we've got a top notch fullback duo.

I think that's what Mou wanted: 3 players for 2 spots.

In United run down the stretch in 2010/11 (topping Chelsea for the EPL, getting to the CL Final & getting to the FAC SF), he had Park & Valencia back from injuries along with Nani to give him a trio of wings. It let him keep all three fit, in form (best Valencia ever played, Nani was his best form, and Park was terrific) and give him options on how to play. Against teams where he had defensive worries about the fullbacks, he'd go with Valencia an Park since Nani can zone out on that work. If he had less worries about defense, Nani was sure to start and he could one of the other two with an eye towards the next game.

Mou's a master at this. It looks like Ivan & Azpi are his preferred pair, but Luis will get a lot of work if he plays to the level Mou wants.

Quote:
There's not a ton of depth there so an injury at the wrong time could be bad news, but if everyone's healthy I think we're in great shape.

Good depth. Cover at most positions other than striker and CB, in the sense that if Costa went down for a long stretch you'd have issues. Same for CB if you had the injury issues that United does there. I don't think Mou would be happy if both Terry and Cahill missed a month at the same time, say in February. :)

But I also think that's why he'll use that coming stretch above to get Zouma playing time: getting him ready for the injuries that always happen.

Quote:
Not just United, but how much better would Liverpool and especially Arsenal look with Matic in their starting XI? Even City could use him since Fernando hasn't been that great and Yaya can't be bothered to defend.

I think City felt fine in January, and last summer when they got Fernandinho as a mate for Yaya. So that wasn't too likely.

Arsenal are idiots when it comes to players like Matic, so that never was going to happen. ;)

I think Pool was committed to turning Stevie G into a Pirlo, and might instead of looked for Vidal/Pogba types next to him rather than an out & out Holder/DMF like Matic.

But it's United, where Matic would have 100% been the successor to Carrick coming off a 2012/13 season where Carrick was the single most irreplaceable player on the squad since no one else could play that role (whereas we had 3 people who could play the #9 spot if RVP got hurt).

It's possible that Chelsea always had an under the table deal to be able to buy Matic back if someone else came sniffing around. But good lord we should have been sniffing around in the summer of 2012 before he signed that extension with Benfica that had the €45M release clause. Sniff hard enough and he doesn't sign that extension, and then Benfica is over the barrel to sell him. In turn, Mou isn't close to being back by that point. ;)

Of course we should have triggered Javi Martinez' release clause the summer before Munchen bought him. :P

Quote:
I think Remy is supposed to be that guy. Hopefully he could hold the fort in the event of a Costa injury. (Well, hopefully Costa will remain healthy, but you know what I mean.) He's a different kind of player to Costa, not gonna harrass defenders in the same way (who does?) but he's a good finisher and has looked good in limited playing time so far.

When is he hack from the injury?

Quote:
The United-Leicester game was one of the most entertaining things I've seen in ages. :P

Quote:
I've never had any real beef with United, or least what enmity I did have was fueled by bitter envy of their success rather than anything more sinister (like Liverpool). That said, after this summer's veneration of LVG as the man who invented modern football, I'm particularly enjoying their troubles.

Quote:
The massive injury problems have obviously not helped, but really, are we really supposed to believe that missing Evans, Smalling, and Jones is what has been holding them back?

I have no love for Evans. :P

I'm not confident that Jones has the brain and attention span to play a sustain good CB. His constant injury issues are a problem, and several years of Sir Alex and Moyes dicking around with him at RB and CMF have screwed up his development. I'm far less high on him than most. :/ But this really is time for him to step up, stay healthy and show he's a long term solution at CB.

Smalling several years back had promise, oddly enough while playing next to Evans. Injuries have also been an issue, as has been playing RB, and not really getting into a consistent rotation at CB. Sir Alex rode the Vidic & Rio combo a little hard in his last season in his desperate (and successful) attempt to take the title back from City.

All three are far from where they should be, and the clock is running pretty low.

Code:
The side is woefully unbalanced and I have no idea what prompted them to  spend £16m to loan Falcao when they already had Rooney, RVP, Mata, ADM, Januzaj etc in attack.

It's possible that LVG knew that RVP was on the downside. I'd also prefer to have a healthy in form Falcao over a healthy in form Rooney. The problem is that they're stuck with all of them.

If LVG wants to play a 4-3-3, I'm not sure how he gets there. Rooney can really only play at the top, but Falcao and RVP block him from that. LVG would want a pair of players wide who can attack defenders and fly on the counter. ADM and Januzaj can do that... but you need depth there, which we don't have. You also need CMF who can defend and fly into countering, which I'm not sure we have unless we play ADM there... which opens the wide issue.

I hope we finish Top 4 because it would buy LVG more time to clean house on the total mess that we are. I'd like to see him stick around for three years as we'll be in better shape at the end of it than SAF left us in.

Quote:
I hated to give up the last minute equalizer in the Chelsea-United game, but I did get a kick out of RVP and Old Trafford celebrating a last gasp home draw like they'd just won the World Cup. :)

Considering our last season and a half, that draw felt like this:

John
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
£50M Luiz = £21M Matic + £27M Cesc + £2M Cash Money

I mean... that's basically nuts.

And we just announced an £18m profit for the year. :)

Quote:
I tend to think Matic was fine early in the season, but was in that Carrick-like position of being made to look bad because of his CMF mates (and other players) not doing their job and leaving him over run. People notice Carrick being made to look bad, but never got how it was others that caused the problem.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. If the ball got past Cesc, there would be Matic in a giant space facing two or three players. Inevitably they'd get by him and some folks would complain, but what was he supposed to do?

Quote:
I love Oscar... Willian is a terrific hard working player with lots of skill and pace. Hazard is wacky good, though can be flaky at times.

Agree on all counts. Hazard gets the attention because of the flash, but Oscar is just as important for what Jose wants to do. I loved Juan Mata during his Chelsea days, but he just can't do the off the ball stuff Oscar can. Mata needs a team built around him and Jose wasn't going to do that, so thanks for the £37m. :)

Willian is a lot like Oscar in that he's hard working and relentless but I wish we'd see a bit more of the end product he had at Shaktar. The pass for Dave to set up Costa's winner at Anfield was a lovely ball, the kind of thing I'd like to see more of. I think it will come.

Quote:
Schurrle is just the type of roster player a great team wants since he can spot in a variety of roles and seems okay coming off the bench a lot.

Forget that, he's going to get us Marco Reus. :P

Schurrle hasn't had a good start to the season but he had some terrific moments last season and in the Copa. As you say he doesn't make a stink about being a sub, which is nice in such a talented player. I like that he's very direct since that's something we've struggled with for ages, and if he can get his shooting under contral he can be a wonderful player.

Quote:
Sir Alex would do the same thing. He was especially good at using his Champions League group stage games to rotate people around in. He loved lock into advancing as quickly as possible to give him more freedom.

That's what sucks about botching the first Schalke and especially the second Maribor matches. Win both of those and everything is set so the squad players could get as much time as possible without having qualification or seeding at risk. I'll be hoping for a win in Germany so the kids can get a run out against Sporting in the final group game.

Quote:
Arsenal are idiots when it comes to players like Matic, so that never was going to happen. ;)

What is it about Wenger that gives him these huge blind spots? It was plainly obvious they needed defensive cover (six first team defenders, one of whom is a teenager that had played a couple dozen PL games - that's just stupid) and they've needed a stronger midfield presence for years. Matic is proof that you can have a strong defensive presence who can still pick a pass and contribute to their oh-so-scared free flowing style of play. I don't get it.

Quote:
I think Pool was committed to turning Stevie G into a Pirlo

There was a neat video making the rounds last weekend of Chelsea bypassing Gerrard over and over, as he was clueless about the defensive/positional responsibilities of playing deep.

Even the commenters at The Liverpool Offside are begging for Gerrard to either be deployed elsewhere or be used as a substitute. I hope he keeps on as a deep lying playmaker and signs a big Kobe Contract in the next few weeks. :)

Quote:
When is he hack from the injury?

Not sure how fit he was, but he did make the match day squad for the Liverpool game although didn't play. I don't think he was called up for France's friendlies against Albania and Sweden so hopefully given more rest he'll be fully fit after the international break is over (if not already).

Quote:
I'd also prefer to have a healthy in form Falcao over a healthy in form Rooney.

Is there a healthy in form Falcao anymore? Word on the street is he's icing his knee after any kind of physical exertion. That's a troubling sign.

Without offloading RVP or Rooney (good luck with that one), I don't see why they bothered to get Falcao when that defense looked so dodgy even with everyone healthy.

There's a really good attacking side in there somewhere and I think LVG can find it eventually.

Quote:
Considering our last season and a half, that draw felt like this:

I don't recognize that? It's the European Cup, but that's Ronny and Rio so it can't be 1999 or 1968... and there never was a 2008 final. :P

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midline Shift wrote:
I don't recognize that? It's the European Cup, but that's Ronny and Rio so it can't be 1999 or 1968... and there never was a 2008 final. :P

Agree with all your points.

Stevie G getting the Kobe Contract would be a riot. :)

I am hoping that Marco Reus doesn't want to compete with Oscar and Hazard and Willian for playing time, and instead figures out he really wants to come to United to play with ADM and no one else challenging for his playing time. ;)

Have no idea why he has a blind spot on DMF/HMF. It's not like he was in the past:

1997/98: Patrick Vieira & Emmanuel Petit
2001/02: Patrick Vieira & Giovanni van Bronckhorst / Ray Parlour
2003/04: Patrick Vieira & Gilberto Silva

Petit, like Vieria, was sharp both defensively and in passing forward. Vieria had the engine, but petit was sharp as well... it was a wonderful CMF to watch in 1997/98 & 1998/99 and scared the hell out of me. :P

van Bronckhorst was brought in to be Petit's replacement, but got a little banged up soon after arriving. Parlour ended up playing a lot next to Vieira in a makesift thing. Worked that year.

Gilberto was a pure DMF, giving Vieira more freedom to romp around. Wicked combo for The Invincibles before the back injury.

You would think Wenger would get that.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous performance by Chelsea today.

2-0 doesn't reflect the total domination by the Blues. This was one of the better performances I've seen from them in the time I've been supporting the club, at least until they let off the gas after about an hour. We're at our best when we move the ball quickly and we did that very well in the first half. It's also soooo nice to see a striker actually making runs instead of being Fernando Torres. The 77% possession was not just due to the sending off - it was near that even before Yacob's stupid tackle. Of course, it wouldn't be a Chelsea match without some shodding finishing; that combined with Ben Foster's MotM performance kept Chelsea from running up a cricket score. We did ease up in the second half but West Brom never threatened at any point.

Some might have thought Yacob was unlucky but I'm glad he was sent off. I hate the notion that players can do whatever they want as long as they nick the ball. That was a full on Kevin Sullivan style double stomp. I was pleased to hear even the loathsome Tony Gale agreed.

The United-Arsenal game was hilarious. de Gea is terrific. Really great own goal. Can't wait to hear what Arsene says about this one.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in 4th! Woo-Hoo~!

jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Wilson: Would Chelsea’s José Mourinho have been a good fit at Manchester United?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: