The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/2015 Futbol Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spurs draw today pretty much wraps up the EPL title for Leicester.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Tom Greaves wrote:
Speaking of managers, plenty of talk of course about getting rid of Martinez. Like I said above, I don't see that there's an upgrade out there.

Manuel Pellegrini?

He did well at Villarreal and Malaga, in addition to his time at Big Clubs. He's been here in the EPL for 3 seasons, so it's not like he needs to start at ground zero of learning the league.

That would be the value in firing Martinez *now* and going caretaker: it lets you go out and talk to Pellegrini's people openly and not behind the back of your current manager. After all, Pellegrini already has essentially been fire from City at the end of the year with his successor already names.

I don't think you guys want to end up going off the trash bin looking for guys like Brendan Rodgers. I kind of like Rodgers, but it's also clear that some things went off the bend there last year and this season. Losing Suarez was a big blow, there were other issues, but Brendan was one of the issues.

Perhaps he's someone like Moyes who is better at club with less pressure, and less egocentric players, having time to work his system and with players hungry to make a mark.

Didn't even consider Pellegrini, as I assumed he'd be going back to Spain. (Valencia?) Rodgers probably would actually be a great pick, but that Liverpool taint is just too much. I just don't think RM is a bad manager by any means. The squad is flawed in ways that are somewhat beyond his control - the defense is old and looks past it, not just Howard, but Baines and Jagielka are on the wrong side of 30 too.

Quote:
I kind of think it would be insane for us to chase Lukaku.

Yeah, forgot his and Jose's checkered past. :) I was thinking of him as a direct replacement for Rooney. It's probably the best for the club if he moves on to China or MLS this summer, I can't see what Mourinho would do with him.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Lukaku thinks he's too good for MLS, which would be true. He's 23 in May, has popped in 25 goals in all competitions with a few games left. I suspect he's looking at what Hernandez has done when going to Germany and believes that there's got to be some Champions League team out there where he can star.

Everton paid 28M for him. He had 3 years left on his contract. 45+ goals in all comps the last two seasons combined. They're going to want a pretty penny for him, especially when you look at what United paid for Martial.

He also wants to play for a big team that makes him look well for the National team relative to his long time rival Benteke.

Hard to see Klopp going for him given he's not in love with Benteke.

Gunners... Lukaku is a reliable scorer, and with the spending on Ozil and Alexis, there's slightly more willing to spend than in the past. But Wenger hasn't been able to complete a deal for a top striker in forever. I think Everton probably would want Wenger to come knocking since they'd get good money if Wenger gets off the pot.

Chelsea seems unlikely: doesn't seem like Conte's type of striker.

China is where you get the money, but I don't think it's where he wants to go to further his National team career.

Going to be really interesting.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they did it - Chelsea's draw with Tottenham today means Leicester wins the league. It's an amazing accomplishment of course, but I wonder what Arsene Wenger thinks this evening?

Tom
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't bad enough that Real Madrid are in the CL final, now Liverpool are in the EL final. Here's hoping Sevilla do the three-peat and Atletico avenge their loss two years ago.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midline Shift wrote:
If it wasn't bad enough that Real Madrid are in the CL final, now Liverpool are in the EL final. Here's hoping Sevilla do the three-peat and Atletico avenge their loss two years ago.

:)

I kind of needed City to go out in the CL Final to keep a 5th place City from pulling off "the Chelsea" to steal a CL spot from a 4th place United. :P

If Atletico pulls it off, they would have gone through Barca, Munchen and Madrid to win. That is awfully impressive.

John
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arsenal and Manchester City draw 2-2 today, which means Utd are just two points behind with a game in hand. They're at West Ham on Wednesday and home against Bournemouth on Sunday. They have a real chance to sneak past City into Champions League qualification - if they do that and win the FA Cup, does that save LvG's job?
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Greaves wrote:
Arsenal and Manchester City draw 2-2 today, which means Utd are just two points behind with a game in hand. They're at West Ham on Wednesday and home against Bournemouth on Sunday. They have a real chance to sneak past City into Champions League qualification - if they do that and win the FA Cup, does that save LvG's job?

In the last match at Upton Park, Utd lose 3-2 to West Ham. (In true West Ham fashion, there was a bit of riot before the match, with Utd's bus getting smashed up.) A win or draw at Swansea means City are 4th; Utd needs to win and City to lose.

In other Utd news, Bayern snatched up two long-rumored Utd transfer targets - Mats Hummels and 18 year old Portuguese Renato Sanches. Sanches cost 35m, which is kind of insane except that Martial cost more.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total trainwreck of a game. Ugh.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celtic hired Brendan Rodgers, removing the temptation for Everton. Probably a pretty good place for him to land, and it's a 12-month rolling contract so should an attractive PL job open next summer he can go.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Celtic is a good place for him.

Names a while ago for Everton were de Boer, Hughes and Pellegrini.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun day of futbol on Saturday and Barca on Sunday:

Sat 5/21
9:30am FA Cup Final: Manchester United vs Crystal Palace
10:45am DFB Pokal Final: Bayern Munchen vs Borussia Dortmund
11:45am Coppa Italia Final: Milan vs Juventus

Sun 5/22
12:30pm Copa del Rey Final: Barcelona vs Sevilla

Eastern times.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it seems like he's been replacing LvG imminently since December, pretty much every source is reporting that Mourinho will be taking over this week.

In Everton news, they're allegedly going to interview Sevilla's manager Unai Emery, though the article is worded very carefully and it seems more like a wish than something that's going to happen. There's even more of a glass ceiling in La Liga than there is in the PL, but Sevilla -> Everton sure seems like a step down.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - is it time to worry:

http://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2016/5/24/11760510/everton-new-manager-latest-david-moyes

:/

I think Unai Emery would be an interesting choice. It does look like a lateral move. Sevilla has been more successful with the recent trophies. But Everton's revenue is #18 in the Deloitte Football Money League review of football finances at 165M in 2014/15. Sevilla doesn't crack a Top 30 that goes down to 125.5M. He's got more to work with, and EPL revenue is trending upwards and much more equitable in being split.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everton hired Southampton's manager Ronald Koeman for 5m. He did a fine job at Southampton despite the club selling its best players every summer. The next step is getting the most you can from Lukaku - Arsenal may sign Jamie Vardy, so Chelsea would appear to be the likely buyer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: