The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/2015 Futbol Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody Wants Fernando Torres

:)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man United's Ander Herrera could face JAIL after being named in match-fixing probe in Spain

Ugh.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UEFA Champions League Round of 16:

Chelsea vs PSG
Barcelona vs Manchester City
Borussia Dortmund vs Juventus
Bayern Munich vs Shakhtar Donetsk
Real Madrid vs Schalke
Monaco vs Arsenal
Atletico Madrid vs Bayer Leverkusen
Porto vs Basel

Most interesting three ties are at the top.

Chelsea, PSG, Barca and City just had horrid luck with the draw. Pretty much the worst possible draw for each.

Juve-Dortmund is between a BvB side that is spiraling out of control and a Juve side that's underperformed in Europe in their current strong cycle. One of them is going to be happy to be in the QF. :)

Arsenal could have drawn worse.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 points for United, Southampton continues to fall, and West Ham drew. Gunners beat up Newcastle, Spurs picked up the full three late, while Chelsea and City did the business. Everton looks like they're doing what they need to do today.

39 Chelsea
36 Man City
31 Man Utd
28 West Ham
26 Southampton
26 Arsenal
24 Tottenham
23 Newcastle
22 Swansea
21 Everton (assuming they hold the 3-0)
21 Liverpool

Everton will be up on Pool by Goal Diff if they win.

I don't think anyone else has a realistic shot at the Top 4 other than these teams.

It gives you an idea of how poorly United started that winning 6 on the trot for 18 out of 18 points leaves them only 10 points ahead of the team that they took the full 3 from on the weekend. 3rd is where I want to stay, buit it's only 7 points ahead of Spurs. We haven't played Spurs head-to-head yet, so a poor game there and half that gap is gone.

We're also not playing well. It's kind of nuts to think winning a pair of games by a combined 5-1 wouldn't indicate you're playing well, but we were awful against Southampton, and pretty poor in the first half against Pool despite being up 2-0. Pool had so many chances it was nuts, and DDG had a monster game in goal.

I'd like to get more comfy in 3rd. I have a little worry about the Gunners not letting us. They looked excellent in hammering Newcastle, so this might be one of their annual stretches of beating up lesser teams only to drop points against the top teams. Since this is the thinnest collection of Top Team in years (pretty much just Chelsea and City), that means that they might take points off the teams just below those two. We did just take the full three from them last month.

It's so congested that it take just getting hot to jump up into contending for the Top 4. That could come from a soft stretch of the schedule beating up jobbers, or beating other teams competing for those spots.

The next month should be interesting. :)
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh - Everton go down 0-3 at Southampton. Everton are in 10th, tied with points with Liverpool who inexplicably have a -3 goal difference.

United draw 1-1 at Aston Villa. Watched the end of the match when the Everton game went south - shocking how few chances Utd created when Villa were down to 10 men.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The United game was another horrible performance in the first half. They were better in the second half, chasing the goal then having a man advantage. Still, a man advantage for such a long time you'd expect them to win.

Everton's loss... just don't get that. :(
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Boys all won, with the exception of Everton.

Things look pretty bleak for Everton with the home job to Stoke. This is the type of game they need to win to keep sight of the other six bigger clubs. Hard to tell exactly what's wrong with the club. :(

Nice win by United. Didn't dick around, put the game away, which was nice given Jones' penalty late. We need to find that balance of playing good and getting the 3 points. Loved the first goal: excellent counted, strong run off the ball by Rooney as he stared the play and finished it. Really liked Falcao's cutback, which might have been the best thing he's done with United.

Chelsea and City are proving it's a two team race. United isn't catching them.

The battles/wars will be 1-2 between Chelsea & City, and then 3-6 between United, Arsenal, Spurs and Pool if they can get their rear end together to beat up the jobbers rather than bleed points.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit... Gunner are close to getting Cavani?!?! Yikes!!!
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good weekend for the Gunners as Chelsea, City, United and Spurs all draw. Annoying for United... which matches the annoying quality of the game.

Everton gave up an equalizer, though they have a half to go. Really a game where they need to get points after their current run of form.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh for Everton yet again. Some of the online places I lurk are getting tired of Roberto, but it's way too soon to dump him. That said, I don't know what the problem is, and I worry that RM doesn't either.

Cavani to Arsenal seems nutty given Arsenal's lack of center-backs and holding midfielders. And it's not like ManU's lack of those things, which is that they're all injured, but that they just don't have them - I'm only seeing three CB's on the roster: Koscielny, Mertesacker, and Chambers.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavani is also a bit nuts given they just spent 16M on Welback.

My guess is that Wenger sees Cavani as being available at a price he's okay with, and that in the off season he'll sort things out. They've spent 72M on Sanchez and Ozil. Wenger will probably cash in Ozil as he grasps that Alexis is a better all around player. Wenger's summer money pays for a big chunk of Cavani's winter money. Then he sorts out Giroud and Danny as back ups to Cavani.

He still needs a real holding midfielder, and depth there. As you say, he still needs to fill the defense. But I can't argue with the notion of grabbing world class players like Alexis and Cavani when they're available... or even Ozil. He's kind of screwed up with Ozil, who really needs to be left in the #10 role with a firm hardworking CMF and at least one hardworking winger surrounding him to cover for his defensive indifference. That's basically what Mou did with him in Madrid, and got the best out of him for three seasons.

There is something lost about Everton's season. I think Roberto and Upper Management need to put their heads together and use the rest of the season to focus on what's parts of the team are long term keepers, and what needs to move on.

There are a lot of parts of the team that are 30+ that have contributed over the years, but perhaps are hitting the wall in terms of being key players on a Top 7 side. :/
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy result today as Tottenham win 5-3 at home against Chelsea. I didn't watch but looking at the stats Chelsea had 54% possession and still gave up 5. Chelsea are now tied at the top (points and goal difference) with City, who won 3-2 at home against Sunderland. Frank Lampard scored the winner, and his loan is being extended until the end of the season. I'm glad to see this, even if I'd rather City not win the league; I'd hate to see someone who can still play being wasted for an MLS expansion team.

Everton lose again, 0-2 at Hull. Europe next year looks like a longshot, and playing like this they'll soon be out of the Europa League. Some blog talk of Deulofeu coming in, but I would doubt that as Barca's transfer ban was upheld and they can't sign new players until 2016, though apparently they can sell.

Utd drew 1-1 at Stoke; apparently neither team played particularly well. Marca claims they're going to sign Falcao to a permanent deal for 50m, on top of the 10 loan fee.

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Chelsea-Spurs game on the DVR to watch on Friday. Looks nuts... suspect Simon isn't happy. :) Huge game for Spurs as the jump into near-Champions League place, as no one expects Southampton to be Top 4 come the end. I don't even think Spurs Fans were expecting 3 points today.

United going draw-fu during the holidays is driving me nuts. Grrrr. At least the Gunners lost so we didn't lose point there... and Pool drew. Not a bad day.

Don't at all get what's going on with Everton. :(

I don't get United committing to a 60M (10+50) transfer on someone who isn't doing much for us, is in questionable health, and really tends to block LVG going with his old 4-3-3 with Rooney at the top. Strange if it happens.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrard To Leave Liverpool At End Of Season, Maybe To MLS

Quote:
As Billy touched on briefly touched on yesterday, Liverpool's best match of the season came Monday with Gerrard on the bench. Manager Brendan Rodgers has spent the better part of the season figuring out how to integrate Captain Fantastic while he has increasingly looked like Liverpool's weakest link. He returned to the pitch today against Leicester, and while he scored both Liverpool goals in a 2-2 draw, they were on penalties other players drew, and Gerrard looked largely ineffectual all match.

On his way to the Galaxy, almost certainly. They've cleared Donavan's contract, and it's not like Robby makes Beckham Money anyway... so they'll likely drop a load on Stevie that he can't resist.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/12/16/alexi-lalas-fox-espn-tv-soccer-analyst-mls-world-cup

Ugh. We've got Alexi at the World Cup next cycle. Rob Stone + Alexi will be painful in the studio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: