The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESPN & Fox Sports General Stuff Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: ESPN & Fox Sports General Stuff Thread Reply with quote

"ESPN is evil on many levels. This is probably the worst case. I wonder if it is an ESPN employee and what this person's history is since ESPN seems to ignore sick fucks that are employees there or give them a slap on the wrist. She could sue for mega $$$ then go to say CBS."

They basically canned Harold Reynolds and Sean salisbury for boorish behavior. But Chris Berman and Mike Tirico (I believe) weren't reprimaned severely for their actions.

That being said, even though its probably not the case, the thought of someone on ESPN being on this inside job wouldnt shock me at all.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:

They basically canned Harold Reynolds and Sean salisbury for boorish behavior. But Chris Berman and Mike Tirico (I believe) weren't reprimaned severely for their actions.

Wasn't Reynolds basically canned for BS reasons? It's been awhile and I can't remember. I do remember Salisbury had constant boorish behavior and firing him was lonnng overdue. I remember laughing at dumbass Buzz Bissinger who was yelling at the owner of DeadSpin because people were ripping into Salisbury in the comments section. Ole Buzz either didn't realize what a shithead Salisbury is or thinks that it's okay to act that way.

YAKUZA
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that HR was fired for legit reasons. Brand new contract, and I don't think he got any of it via a settlement. Given the track record at ESPN, to actually fire him the final incident had to have come after a prior history of several other incidents.

John
Rian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HR was fired for giving B-Squared "more" than just a friendly hug.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the friendly hug was on a staffer, and the final straw as she was creeped out and reported it. There was a lot of blog stuff about another issue with B-Squared, which may have been a prior incident that made the Hug be the final straw.

That said, one just doesn't think HR is stupid enough to pull something with Bonnie. *Most* of the crap that goes on at ESPN seems directed at staffers and lower level production people. One gets the feeling that the TV Talent feels like they can get away with their shit on the powerless staffers. Aiming stuff towards someone at BB's level, or Hanna's level, or Erin's level, is asking to get fired.

Doesn't mean that they wouldn't toss an uncomfortable joke in their direction that leads to a good talking to by Human Resources. But the stalking stuff and the Sean's Cock Photo stuff seems to be aimed at staffers.

BTW, how did Woody get sent away from the Morning Show yet stay a regular on Around The Horn? My recollection is that Woody and The Male Barbie Doll Host had an incident with a staffer (make up woman?) and got "sent on vacation" over it. The idiot host got his job back, but Woody was sent back to Denver or where ever he's based.

Which is good... but bad since they keeped Skip. :)

John
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered how Woody is still on ATH, though it could be that he does the gig from his office at the Denver paper, so ESPN staffers don't have to be threatened by Woody's "big one". I think the Male Barbie (he's from Hazard, KY originally, and was on the networks fishing coverage for years, I think he actually was a ranked bass fisherman -- there's your useless trivia for this post) was cleared, or maybe Dana Jacobsen is hoping a man will hit on her.

I used to defend Skip, but it's clear he's just a contraian idiot. I was done when he went to the "UFC is rigged like wrestling" card. Even Rome doesn't have him host his show anymore.

-Chad
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Dana Jacobsen in hot water as well? I remember she got heat for a drunken diatribe. I'm surprised she's still on ESPN after that.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Wasn't Dana Jacobsen in hot water as well? I remember she got heat for a drunken diatribe. I'm surprised she's still on ESPN after that.

If I have my facts right, that's just another example of the bullshit that goes on at BSPN. Jacobsen was at a Comedy Roast and there were no rules about what you could rip on and they were roasting Golic, a Notre Dame alum and she made jokes about Jesus because of the 'Touchdown Jesus' they have at ND.

The thing about ESPN is that they will only fire people if they rip into the company or a fellow worker on TV or in print. But sexual harassment and other garbage gets a slap on the wrist. This was brought up to me by another person and I talked to a friend close to ESPN and he confirmed it, but they are saying that Reynolds was basically fired because he didn't want rip into players and become a clown like BSPN likes their 'analysts' to be on camera. Then the sexual harassment suit came and they fired him and it appears that the sexual harrassment was crap (he supposedly 'hugged' a co-worker) and that's why they settled after he was fired.

YAKUZA
corrado

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting postscript

Im debating now over giving this ESPN book a read. I hope its as juicy as its been hyped.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The excerpts are an interesting read, and it will be interesting to see if the book is in the format of of the excerpts of more tranditional.

I'll read it. The earlier ESPN book was a good read. This one allegedly left 300+ pages on the cutting room floor.

John
JAG

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These same authors did the SNL book, which is the best book I've read of its kind.

The only player that didn't comment for that book in the manner you see in the excerpts was Eddie Murphy.

Tom Shales is an exceptional writer so the transitions are fantastic as well.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the SNL book, and Dan Patrick has said often (including again today) that the ESPN book is extremely well researched.

My view on Tom Shales is extremely low after his repeated, and at times creepy obsessive, slagging of Christiane Amanpour. I'm far from an Amanpour mark, but Shales has come across as hackish and nuts on that issue.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sort of related:

ESPN exec fired for masturbating in front of Erin Andrews

More wacky ESPN behavior.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN is just nuts.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big day for ESPN trash.

ESPNís Matthew Barnaby Pulled Over While Driving On Three Tires, Charged With DWI

Quote:
Erie County Sheriff's deputies responded to a call of an SUV driving erratically without a front tire.

Deputies say Barnaby, 38, was behind the wheel of his Porsche Cayenne and driving on a rim, which caused sparks. There was also significant front end damage.

The Sheriff's Department says Barnaby failed several standard field sobriety tests and refused a breath test. He was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated. His license was revoked because of the refusal.

ESPN Has Cut Ties With Matthew Barnaby "Effective Immediately"

DWI is what pushed ESPN over the edge. I guess that's the third strike:

* banging an on-air co-worker (MB) while married
* domestic dispute case with ex-wife
* DWI

Only at ESPN would the first not get you in deepshit, and the second not get you fired. Couldn't have happened to a nicer douchebag.

ESPN The Book: The Paperback is out, and more backstabbing:

Keith Olbermann Insists Suzy Kolber Was Just As Toxic At ESPN As He Was

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: