The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"I'm Trying to Be as Honest as I Can, I Don't Normally Do That" -Mike Shanahan

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Knicks: 2011 and beyond
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: The Knicks: 2011 and beyond Reply with quote

I decided that since the Knicks lead a very fascinating and maddening at times day to day operation, I thought it deserved its own thread.

And today they kicked off their offseason by picking up the option for Chauncey Billups for next season:

Quote:
The Knicks have picked up the $14.2 million option on Chauncey Billups, according to the New York Daily News.
The team could have bought him out for $4 million, but decided to bring him back for another season

They made the right move despite the big option. Billups should do fine in keeping order just in case there's strife. But with that big option means they wont go crazy this offseason like many offseasons. They'll probably get someone off the radar to be their center. I dont think Marc gasol will be available though.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the other "value" of the contract is that it will be an Expiring Contract. If they're looking to trade for someone in the off season (Howard or CP3), the team needs:

* contracts that match up with Howard/CP3

* contracts that aren't offensive to the other team

Expiring Contracts are a way to do both.

If they can't trade for CP3 now, then the contract rolls off the books after 2012... and they'll hope to have space cleared to go after CP3 or Darren Williams if they hit the market.

John
Paul Jacobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I think the other "value" of the contract is that it will be an Expiring Contract. If they're looking to trade for someone in the off season (Howard or CP3), the team needs:

* contracts that match up with Howard/CP3

* contracts that aren't offensive to the other team

Expiring Contracts are a way to do both.

If they can't trade for CP3 now, then the contract rolls off the books after 2012... and they'll hope to have space cleared to go after CP3 or Darren Williams if they hit the market.

John

*Ding Ding Ding*

That's exactly the move they're looking for. I'd be shocked if Billups is with the team at the end of the year next year, but a lot will depend on the new bargaining agreement. I see Howard going to LA or BOS (with 3 of their 4 expiring), or staying in Orlando with the Knicks being a very outside shot.

That said, I'm pretty certain Donnie's going to end up staying.

The big issue is going to be lack of tradable assets as the bloom may be off the Landry Fields rose at this point and the lack of 1st rounders hurts too. I wish they could have kept Gallo (who really isn't that great, but has a higher ceiling) and sold on Fields when his value was highest, but those are the breaks.

-Paul Jacobi-
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was sad when they traded Gallo and he was missed in the playoffs. He could've had a game-winner perhaps. Boy he was kept instead of Fields, than that trade could've been more of a win than it was.

But now there's talk that many of the key players of the trade could be moved back after all.

Quote:
In another scenario that Billups would love, the Knicks could deal Billups back to his hometown Nuggets this summer in an attempt to get back restricted free agent Wilson Chandler and Raymond Felton, neither of whom is happy in the Rocky Mountains. The Knicks, as reported in yesterday’s Post, have an interest in trying to woo Chandler back to New York.

I dont know about this. I think I prefer Billups to Felton. Big contract and all. Its the intangibles I guess.

And I cant see Howard as a Knick. I would love too, but I dont see it happening.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Chandler & Felton talk is that they're young players who would be in some demand. The Nuggets aren't going to ship them for Billups expiring contract. They're rebuilding. Billups expiring contract means nothing to a rebuilder: they're not going to be able to use that money coming off the books to go get a stud.

People are talking that in the coming years the Nuggets will take some of the surplus talent (i.e. Lawson and Felton play the same position and are extremely similar, so you don't really need *both*) and will trade if for either a missing piece or for a bigger star. They might not be able to get a franchise, but better player than what they have at a specific position.

Billups doesn't fit there.

I actually think the Knicks would be stupid to trade Billups for another less than another very good player. His value is what I mentioned: an expiring contract. That would be used to:

* include in a trade for a major star to balance our the contracts

* let expire at the end of 2012 to open up cap space for a major free agent

The Knicks under Zeke were constantly trading away good expiring contracts for either bad contracts or for role players. They really need to be smart here because with the two major long term contracts (Melo and Stoud), they eventually are going to get an impacted payroll... sooner rather than later. So they need to make the most out of things like Billups contract.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walsh no longer President

Well thats a bummer. he tried his best to reshape the Knicks. But as long as Dolan is in charge, that dynamic was doomed to fail.

I just hope Zeke isnt one of the names rumored for President.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is bad for the Knicks. Probably good for some small market team out there. If I were the Timberwolves, especially after the Rubio signing, I'd quickly sign Walsh.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replacement for Walsh, Glen Grunwald is a Zeke crony. Which is not a good sign at all.

I wouldve rather seen Shaq as Walsh's replacement. He jokingly answered a call at his retirement press conference that he was going to interview for the GM position. Hilarious.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another rumor concerning the Knicks:

Quote:
Speculation from other team general managers is that Creative Artists Agency, which represents recently acquired superstar Carmelo Anthony as well as assistant general manager Allan Houston and consultant Mark Warkentien, will exert influence not only on who the Knicks hire to replace Walsh, but also whether D'Antoni is the Knicks coach beyond next season....

One source said that CAA officials were not happy with how Walsh and D'Antoni handled another one of their clients, Eddy Curry, before he was traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves as part of the February deal that brought Anthony to New York.

Its sad that after the hope of this past season (well besides the sweep at the hands of the Celtics) they're back to their old head-scratching ways.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predictably, the Knicks' pick doesnt seem to be popular with the crowd. They picked Iman Shumpert, a guard.

Iman

Not one of the more impressive picks out there. Of course Jimmer and Kemba were picked already. I think they could've picked Singleton though.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well get this thread back on track since there's a season now.

So unsurpisingly Chris Paul wants to opt out of the Hornets and become a Knick. Problem is Knicks dont have many assets to trade to the Hornets, after the Melo deal.

Not to mention Paul (and whoever else wants to be a Knick) would have to take a huge paycut. Might as well stick with Billups for this year and try to sort out what they'll do for Paul next year.
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the lockout is lifted, I want the Knicks to get Paul and the Lakers to get Dwight.

That way all the rubes that thought the lockout was about creating parity and not just a naked money-grab by the owners will realize they were bamboozled.

That said, don't see a way the Knicks can pull it off without a third team and even then, why would they want the Knicks mediocre crap and aging Billups?

Jagdip
Paul Jacobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only leverage Paul has is that he can let any team he would be traded to know he's not signing to discourage them.

The key is that if he can get traded to the Knicks, they can sign him with the Bird rights to the full max deal. (after he declares FA)

Billups and his expiring deal going to NO at least lets them clear more space to really rebuild.

Knicks are also interested in Grant Hill, who could be a nice addition if he holds up like he did in PHX last year.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knicks 2011/2012 schedule

Good to see the Knicks get a lot of national TV shine. Not a good start to the season with a West Coast swing almost immadetely. Including a game against the Lake Show.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's talk there that Tyson Chandler could become a Knick very soon. They would have to give up Billups or Amnesty him.

They would basically be out of the running for Paul. But there's talk that they might trade Amare for Paul. Something that I dont know I would approve of. Paul is needed. But they do need a big man and Tyson Chandler fills that void tremdously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: