The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Watched THE PROFESSOR AND THE MAD MAN on Netflixs last night.

[...]

This is major film that was over looked by bias critics in 2019. Gibson & Penn should have gotten nominations, but they weren't black.

The Best Actor Nominees for that year were:

Joaquin Phoenix Joker
Antonio Banderas Pain and Glory
Leonardo DiCaprio Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver Marriage Story
Jonathan Pryce The Two Popes

The Best Supporting Actor nominees:

Brad Pitt Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Tom Hanks A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Anthony Hopkins The Two Popes
Al Pacino The Irishman
Joe Pesci The Irishman

10 White Guys (Banderas is from Spain, not Hispanic).

You constant carping about White People not getting Oscar Nominations wore thin long ago even if you weren't always wrong when making these comments. That you're always wrong when making the comment just makes it come across really not good.

The reason no one got nominated for anything in this movie is that hardly anyone thought it was good. Even Gibson and the director thought the version released was shit, and went to court to try to get their version released.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's Licorice Pizza looks ridiculously good.

The supporting cast is the typical level of talent Anderson always gets. Some risk with the two leads who both are making their debuts. Philip Seymour Hoffman son Cooper is the male lead. The female lead is a pop/rock performer playing a decade younger than her age. In the trailer they both look pretty right on. It's Anderson, who is one of the better "actor's director" in the past 3 decades, so he warrants some faith in being able get the performance he wants out of even semi-green actors (Wahlberg in Boogie Nights comes to mind).
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worried, I got my ticket for next weeks James Bond opening. It's for Friday at 3:30. I'm the only person in the theater. --- Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm a racist pig who deserves to die & go to hell. I'm the worst person in the world.

I don't care about the Emmy show. I never have. It's not the Oscars. But I did watch the 9-20-21 sunday show, because the Dodger game was in the afternoon. Going into the show, everyone was saying THE CROWN, MARE OF EASTTOWN, TED LASSO, and THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT were going to clean up. I saw all but one of them & I agreed with that. So I watched the show, and it was OK. I had nothing to do that night. Didn't think it was a good year but I agreed on everything, but one award. So then I forgot about it.

So the next day (9-20-21), on the front page of the LA TIMES (not the Entertainment section) there is a negative review of the Emmy show. The big Headline read "TOO PREDICTABLE,TOO WHITE" "NO PERFORMER OF COLOR WINS AN AWARD"! The critic (Lorraine Ali) was upset because no one of color won an award for the first hour. This was printed after a opening Rap number that went on for 15 minutes, a black MC (Cedric The Entertainer) and a ton of black presenters. There also was a ton of black TV shows nominated. The only people in the tribute to the year's dead, with speaking parts, were two black actors. Awards were given to blacks for being great people & there were black guys in dresses. It was great.

But every time a black presenters gave a speech about how blacks, woman, gays were now part of the entertainment world.... the Emmy would go to a white guy. The English guys just kicked there ass. A white male winning was the only thing that could shut them up.

You know blacks dominate music and basketball & sports in general .... maybe it's time to realize that the English are the best actors. I'm sorry, Acting is England's national sport.

I saw nothing wrong with this years winners. I did think Michael K. Williams should have won, but it's because I thought Tobias Menzies was the worst thing in this year's THE CROWN. The rest of the acting awards were right on.

And they did win DUPAUL'S DRAG RACE and they won the last big award for HAMILTON ... a rap show where black actors play white guys from the American revolution. Someone was upset about LOVECRAFT COUNTRY, which was a show that lasted for 8 hours without seeing one white person that a wasn't racist pig. Not one. Not one small character part. Could you see a white group making a film like that. For all the white film's faults, and their has been tons of racist stuff, because the county is racist. I agree on that. But there is no white sound film that is all about attacking the black culture. I can't think of one. They should have covered their asses by putting in a couple of good white people in LOVECRAFT COUNTRY. But anyway, white people, I know, understand & don't care. I don't care ... but what I said is true.

I always loved watching the Oscar, because it was fun looking down on it and all it's mistakes thru the years. It was controlled by the studios, so it was wrong a large portion of the time. But in my life time, it was about the most liberal group of people we have in America. To call it racist, was like picking the easiest target. And the Oscars, other awards shows, etc...and ever since they have been following all over themselves ... to prove their not racist.

I'm all for Black, gay, women film makers ... but I'm worn out on movie about civil right, slavery, just black issues, gay rights, the abuse of women, the same old stuff over & over. Make a film about something else, or make it seem like something else. Be clever. I've been watching it for all my life. The point has been made.

I like talented actors....but I'm not for giving parts to people because of they're color. Unless the part needs it. If color isn't a factor, pick who you want. I like seeing blacks in non-black parts, if it works. Great. If it stands out & doesn't fit, no, it bothers me.

But it's the LA TIMES that is driving me on this topic. I read it every day. And the movie critics judge every film on if it has actors of color in it. It drive me nut. They gave the movie "1917" a negative because the English story didn't have a black lead actor.. Now THE TIMES is grading an award show because it's 'TOO WHITE". And it really was a black show. If you read THE TIMES you know that's what they talk about 75% of the time.

The working class black people I've known, don't care about Hollywood & blacks. White people have done worse to them. It's woke movie stars & things like the LA TIMES who make the noise.

But then I'm a racist asshole, so who cares. So John, why don't you delete me....maybe you'd get more posters. Ban me. --- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
But then I'm a racist asshole, so who cares. So John, why don't you delete me....maybe you'd get more posters. Ban me. --- Steve Yohe

Why ban you?

I'm saying your constant carping about White People not getting Oscar Nominations wore thin long ago. The latest post doesn't change that.

If you don't like films about civil rights, slavery, just black issues, gay rights, the abuse of women, it's not hard to find movies that aren't about them. After all, EVERY movie from 2019 that was nominated for Best Picture was not about any of those subjects.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John have you seen the mystery film CROOKED HOUSE on Netflicks? How about a review?--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MANY SAINTS OF NEWARK is terrible. * Very hard to sit threw.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridley Scott at 84 scored again. THE LAST DUEL is a major film & one of this best. Seems to be based on a real event, that ended in a duel around 1380. Like with Kurosawa's Rashomon it's told in three acts, with all three of the major characters giving the "truth" & version of the events. A rape of the wife. This covers about 50% of the movie, and then you get the duel. Which is a sick. bloody mess, which kind of shocks everyone, viewers & the people in the movie. It ranks with the best sword fights in film history, but it comes off as very authentic. Yeah it met my standards.

It is a study of the mores & relationships of the 14th century, but I'm sure it relates to today in some ways. Can't say any of the characters are not honorable, when factoring in the culture of the time. I'm sure everyone today will be favoring the woman today. It presents the reality & testimony of all three involved. It's not about finding the truth. In the view of 1380, the winner of the duel owns the truth in god's eyes. Still the film seems to push you to a type of opinion.

The screenplay lives up to the reputation of Damon & Afleck. The film moves good and I'm impressed with their work.

The acting is very good. Everyone stands out. I think Matt Damon gives himself the tough thankless part, but he does well. Adam Driver shows great range in his acting & this moves him to another level in my eyes. The wife, Jodie Comer does well. Ben Afleck does really well & it's not a cameo or a minor part. You can't see Batman in that character. For some time, I couldn't tell it's him. They don't use French accents, but the English have been doing that for 90 years & the France never bitched.

I wish the Marton Csokas part had been bigger. I wonder if he was set to play Ben's part, but got replace & given a lesser role & accepted because of Ridley.

Hey Roose Bolton, from GAME OF THRONES, has a good part & nails it.

So I really think this is a major film & worthy of at least ****1/8. I think it needs to be seen more than once. It will be a blue-ray in my collection. I can't see this as one of Ridley's director's cuts. It's about perfect as it is.

The cinematography is dark. It's a world of candle light & I think they wanted that in the movie. I didn't like the lighting at first, but I think it works. They go to Paris a number of times. The city is shown as a mud hole & not build up at all. It's like a field with Notre-Dame cathedral in the middle of it. The church seems to be being build in the movie, but that would be wrong. Maybe they were just working on it. Books claim it was finished in 1260. King Charles VI is in the film & he is shown as a boy, which fits the time.

Unlike most films of this period, it's not told from the eyes of the comman person. It's told from the nobleman's point of view. They don't like to tax people & talk about it. They all have problems & life is hard, even for them. Damon buys his wife a dress & he worries about the cost. Running their farms cost and the men have to go to war to pay their taxes. Most of the rules & laws have good reasons & seem to work. These don't seem like bad people. The king and other rulers explain the duel to those involved, tell them how terrible the idea is, & try to find a way out. But men's honor, force it to happen. People will disagree but I don't see a bad guy in the movie. You would think it would be Adam Driver, but he seems to steal the movie and comes off as a man of honor.

The movie is about human perception of the world & their life's and how everyone's mind see's things in a different way. Like the way people will react to this movie.

The movie has a lot of "art house" in it. Maybe the stars & violence can make it a hit. I hope so. Women will like it. I'm thinking it's a classic. --- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE FRENCH DISPATCH is a weak Wes Anderson movie. More enjoyable in parts than funny. More like his early film. I respect him, his sets, and design but I don't think anyone is going to see this as a major movie, and some will hate it. There are thing in it that stick with you, so ***. Do actors get paid for being in his movie?? I encourage him to keep making movies.

I saw NO TIME TO DIE the first night and watched it again last week. I didn't want to spoil it for people, so I waited. But now that's over. They kill most everyone, Felix Leiter, Blofeld, everyone in Spectre, and James Bond. I was very disappointed & I think it's the worst of Craig's Bond films. **7/8.

The ending is weak, and so is the villain ... who means well. The ending is Bond shooting about 50 bad guys hidden in the dark. Then it all blows up.

Bond's leading lady, Lea Seydoux, was mis-casted in both movie. What does he see in her. I liked her better in THE FRENCH DISPATCH, because she is nude a lot.

So who decided to kill Bond??? I think it was a dumb idea. Craig will want to come black at some point. A reboot will mean waiting 5 to 7 years ...maybe longer. Long enough for a generation to forget Craig. People will not accept another Bond & the big blockbuster days will be over. Craig also brought in people who knew how to make good films. The old guys left over from Roger Moore days will be back in charge ... & it will go back to being junk. Wait ten years & you'll see. ---- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest they've gone between Bond movies was six and a half years between Dalton #2 and Brosnan #1. This one ended up being six years only because of the pandemic and Craig being non-commital about coming back.

My guess is that with this hitting a billion dollars two movies ago, still making good money on the last one, and making a lot of coin on the last one, and then making a pretty good amount on this one with the pandemic going on...

Eon Productions isn't going to wait a long time before exploring moving forward. Bond pretty much the whole company and livelihood of the Broccoli kids. They also have a certain ego that they Craig wasn't a star before they got their hands on him, and they can do it again.

BEING VERY CLEAR: I'm not at all saying that they're correct on their thinking about finding a successor to Craig like they did with Bronsan. But Bond has made them very rich, it's the whole reason for their wealth, Broccoli and the Broccoli Kids have controlled the series for 60 years through various "successful" leads (only Lazenby was a failure as people forget Dalton initially spiked business), so they're not going to let Craig leaving stop them from making more Bonds at usual pace of every 2-4 years.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure they will make more, but good luck. They've never killed him off before. And their isn't a lot of Craig's out there. Nothing they did following Connery worked, until Crag.

I don't have a lot of respected for the people making the Bond movies. Look how they screwed up the 2nd Craig Bond film.

The next one will be someone from GAME OF THRONES. I think they should remember that both Craig & Sean were rough guys.... not pretty boys.

I don't know what they can do with a reboot of Bond, they haven't done since 2006. They can't do a reboot of Craig's films. Maybe get another guy with light hair, and tell everyone it's still Craig's version of Bond. Same guy. Just not dead.

And don't have him falling in love anymore. The first girl was good because he was new & young. But he should have learned his lesion & they shouldn't have done it again.

There is a lot of space between Creig #2 and #3. A lot of storyline not covered. He went from new young studd, to old guy who couldn't pass tests. A lot of space to play with. You would think Goldfinger would fit in there. Do FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE.

They have been taking a lot of time between film. Maybe take more with the next, and really think. An idea better that killing Bond. Oh there away the woman Bond or the black Bond. It's hard doing James Bond in a world that has changed.

They might want to do James Bond vs Godzilla. -- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok saw the ETERNALS last night....MAN, IT CHANGED MY LIFE. So deep and emotional. My life has changed forever. Boy it would change the Pope. Actually I thought was a mess. First off... watching fights with CG monsters for hours sucks. CG fights have no drama to them. It doesn't work for me. Either does Super Heros flying around like bags of gas. I do like the use of CG where they show the past culture. I don't know if it's good or believable, but I found it interesting & kind of watchable. But by the end, there was way too much.

This is a big movie for Marvel. It wasn't Antman. Takes on a lot of heavy stuff way too much. I mean I hate thinking the pope will have to change his religion. Really there is a lot of bullshit in it.

I can't say I hated it, but it shouldn't be a Marvel Universe film. If you had it stand on it's own, it might be Ok... because it wouldn't change Marvel storylines in the future. After this The Avengers look small. The god shit gets boring, and they killed all the CG monster by the end of the movie.

I hated part of it but I had to give it credit at times. I think it's ***. I know I don't want to watch it again & I'm not buying the DVD. In fact I could do without it, but it seems to be Marvel's new direction. As a comic, I would have hated it, and I think I hasd #1 & the first bunch because it was Jack Kirby I wish them luck.Salma Hayek is mis-casted, but everyone else is fine.

Ok three years from now, someone will announce Richard Madden as the next James Bond. Madden always disapoints, while the less talented & not as good looking, Kit Harington, nails everything dramaic he does. Jon Snow has a small part in this, because Marvel was just seting up to star him as superhero in one of the future films. Dark Knight or Black Knight or something.

Also this movie is also Eternal as in never ends. It has three of those small previews in the credits so be ready to sit around. Hope you don't need to take a leak after 2 hours.

The fans at the premier seemed to like it. I didn't there was just too much PC shit. Teenagers will think it's wonderful. Very deep movie.

I can't see Marvel continuing with this storyline. I don't know what more you can do with it. Oh ya . Salma Hayek's famous tits are in the movie (not CG), as was a sex scene which was all the LA TIMES could talk about. I have no idea if this will be a hit movie . I'm pretty sure it will get great reviews.

Going bigger and bigger is going to someday kick them in the ass. Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I'm pretty sure it will get great reviews.

I'm stupefied that you haven't seen that it's the worst reviewed of all the MCU movies. Worse than the awful Thor 2... by a wide margin. It's been pretty widely talked about all week, and it's not like I had to look hard to find it - it was popping up in a lot of places.

You with *** actually liked it a hell of a lot more than the average critic.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read reviews until after I've seen a movie. Or written about them. The theater had a good crowd . --- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Ridley Scott at 84 scored again. THE LAST DUEL is a major film & one of this best.

Wonder if Gucci and Last Duel are going to split up Ridley's Oscar votes.

Speaking of which, Oscar seasn heats up this week with a pair of the leading contenders, with next week doing the same on through the rest of Nov:

11/12/21 Belfast (Branagh)
11/12/21 tick tick... Boom (Lin-Manuel Miranda)
11/17/21 Power of the Dog (Jane Campion)
11/19/21 King Richard
11/24/21 House of Gucci (Ridley)
11/26/21 Licorice Pizza (Paul Thomas Anderson)

December ones high on the possibles list include Macbeth (Coen + Denzel as Macbeth + off the charts festival buzz/reviews), Nightmare Alley (del Toro), West Side Story (Spielberg-Kushner for the first time since Lincoln) and Lost Daughter (Gyllenhaal director debut with good festival buzz).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 88 of 89

Jump to: