The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW 'Double or Nothing' Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as they need that NJPW connect, I'm sure there would be disputes right from the start if there were interpromotional matches. Like Okada vs Omega. Naito vs Hangman Page. Both sides would want theirs to win etc.

Still though it would be nice to see some acknowledgment. And I like I said before, that would be a nice play for young lions to go on excursions. Like Moxley's boy Shota.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
To survive they need a deal with NJW. I fear they've all watched too much WCW, ECW, TNA, & WWE....and see no other way.--Yohe

They are fine w/o New Japan because the Khan's are billionaires. Tony and his dad are very close and his dad was there to present the $150K check for the victims of gun violence. Tony was allowed to basically run the Jaguars' analytics department. My guess is that Tony got his fill of trying to bring advanced analytics to football people and saw a good business opportunity with the WWE declining so rapidly and the rise of indie wrestling and New Japan.

Working with New Japan can help because companies like Turner are always looking to hit international markets like Japan and then possibly getting into South Korea and the big one...China. But that comes with work VISAS which are exorbitant to Japan and then you basically have to hold big arenas doing 10,000+ fans with a ticket $AOV of $100+.

I have my doubts if they can get good buyrates again if they price the PPV at $60. There's just less intrigue and newness to the product this time around. Maybe at $30 for the PPV it could do a nice buyrate, but that would cause price point issues not only for the PPV, but for the fans that are paying much more than that to see it in-person.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now the "Road to" serious episodes are posted on the main AEW Youtube channel. And they suspiciously timed tonight's episode to be posted at 8. So that might be a clue as to what time AEW will air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sKy0veFfY&t=0s

Besides a good Adam page promo, the main thing of note is that Shawn Spears' advisor/manager is going to be Tully Blanchard. When that Spears manager rumor first started, I thought it would be a woman so that they could have the Rhodes against Spears/woman. But they went in a different direction, I guess because of the Rhodes/Blanchard history.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TNT show starts on Wednesday October 2nd (8-10) from Washington DC. The plan is for live content in "NBA-sized arenas"
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AEW stuff on YouTube has been very well done. Not only is the production good, but the promos and vignettes have been good. The main thing about the vignettes they have done on the YouTube channel is that they make sense as to why there would be a camera filming it. And itís also filmed well ahead of time which works because pro wrestlers are not pro actors and they will likely need a few takes to present a quality vignette.

Iím interested to see where Tully Blanchard will go with AEW. Iím a huge Tully mark. I have never seen Shawn Spears until his work with AEW in the past couple of months, but heís been very good and Iím glad that Tully and he are working together. They did a cool vignette with a contract signing with Cody and it was straight out of the contract signings that Dusty and Tully would have. Except Cody is a different personality than Dusty.

They also showed backstage conflict between Darby Allin, Janela and Havoc after their loss at Fight for the Fallen. I donít get Janelaís appeal, but this is the first time I saw him in a positive light as a guy who took himself and the angle seriously. Itís amazing what doing something so simple and keeping a little bit of kayfabe can do for somebody.

I actually thought they made some progress at Fight for the Fallen. The bad stuff was much better than the previous cardsí bad stuff. The problem was that the good stuff was not as good as the previousí cardsí good stuff. And the main event was decent, but not overly exciting. They need to make sure they donít go too long with the card this time and do a better job of arranging the card and hopefully get some guys some momentum before they go onto TNT.

So far the card that has been announced as:

Joey Janela vs. Darby Allin vs. Jimmy Havoc

I have some real trepidation about this match. For starters, these guys need to stay away from the hardcore stuff because itís a rabbit hole they donít want to go down just yet. Janela can do some nice spots and bumps, but itís nothing that the other guys on the roster canít doÖso he just does the death match stuff because thatís what any sane person would not do. I get the feeling that Janela goes over here because they like him so much, but this should be Allinís turn to go over and shine and I think it will be a major mistake if they donít.

Best Friends vs. Dark Order

I canít remember all of the names. Chuck Taylor isnít one of my favorite wrestlers, but heís solid if heís serious. The bald guy on the Dark Order I thought was fantastic at Fight for the Fallen. Iíll be interested in what they do here because they have pushed the Dark Order pretty hard, but their gimmick is 90ís Indies crap at best. Plus, Evil Uno looks like crap physically. Iím going with The Dark Order winning here.

Cody vs. Shawn Spears

Cody has been impressive for AEW so far. This is likely causing some problems for him because he doesnít want to push himself since heís the main guy at the promotion, but he is deserved of getting himself over given how good he has been (and he should have never lost to Allin at Fyter Fest). Iím guessing a schmozz type of deal here like a double DQ or something. I think it would be best to have Cody go over in some sort of schmozz fashion to keep the heat on Spears because heís good enough to be a upper tier player in the promotion.

Lucha Bros vs. Young Bucks (ladder match)

Fight for the Fallen showed the Young Bucksí limitations. They are just not that interesting wrestling a traditional match and I wonder if their hearts are really into it as they seem much more energetic in tornado style matches. To me, these matches are a rabbit hole you donít want to go down, particularly going down it too early. I would have reserved it for the first TNT show at the earliest. But, they backed themselves into a corner with the Lucha Bros earlier losses and trying to get their heat back and having another Lucha Bros vs. Young Bucks match isnít very interesting. This also shows the limitations of the Young Bucks (and possibly the Lucha Bros). Nobody ever said they didnít want to watch another Midnight Express vs. RnR Express match in the 80ís. Or they didnít want to watch another British Bulldogs vs. Hart Foundation match or another Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue match.

Iíd have to imagine the Lucha Bros go over here.

Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley

This should probably be the main event, but wonít be since the title is on the line. I do feel that AEW needs to get Omega over because he is so good and is over with the fans, but a big chunk of the TNT audience has no clue as to who he is. Thatís why I would put Omega over here. They could do a finish I was thinking about since the Allin vs. Cody match where they get to the last few seconds of the match and Omega gets the 3-count at the same exact time that the time expires. Iíve never seen a finish like that and you wouldnít know what the rule would beÖdoes the pinfall still count? They could then gimmick a clock a week later and show that the refís hand counted 3 just tenths of a second before the time expired and it was the right call. I think that would get Omega over and keep heat on Moxley. My guess is Moxley goes over which isnít a bad idea, but I think that finish would be a better alternative because as far as main events go, I have far more confidence in Omega than any other wrestler in the companyÖeven Jericho (old age and never as good of a worker) and Moxley (still untested as a main eventer).

Chris Jericho vs. Adam Page (for the heavyweight title)

Iím sure theyíll be tempted to put Page over to Ďshockí people. But he doesnít have the name of Jericho nor his experience. Iíve watched a little of Page and the potential is there, but heís got a ways to go. He really needs to get involved in a good underneath storyline and feud, first. Then let that catapult him to main event status.

Personally, Iíd have Jericho win, beg him to lose some weight, have Omega win and then you can get the belt off Jericho in a few months with an Omega victory. Then have Page feud with a veteran, maybe Shawn Spears and get them into a long feud. Then eventually Iíd set up Omega vs. Moxley and throw some Cody vs. Moxley in there.

I'd also hurry up the tag title. I wouldn't have a problem with the Young Bucks getting the title since they are over. And then I'd look to get a TV title there to help guys like Spears, Allin, MJF, etc. over.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently we're going to get the Wednesday night wars with the possible move of NXT to the USA Network. It would move to 2 hours and perhaps more increased output from Vince and his crew. This may not end well.

Meanwhile, AEW sold out its 2nd and 3rd TV shows in Vince/WWE territory. Boston and Philly respectively. And for each show, they're announcing a couple of matches. Philly will get the 1st title defense for the AEW and Women's world championships. Good little strategy. I'm sure AEW already has a more long-term way to book, compared to the ever increasing booking on the fly that RAW and Smackdown has had for the past several months.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling out Philly isn't a big surprise given its history with pro wrestling. Selling out Boston is a bit of a surprise since Boston has been a very WWF/McMahon centric instead of a workrate centric fanbase.

They signed Orange Cassidy and Marko Stunt. I'm starting to believe that they are basically trying to re-create PWG, but on a bigger stage with a billionaire backing it. Lots of highspot matches and tag matches along with niche, indy comedy.

I like PWG, but it's not on a bigger stage for a reason.

YR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: