The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Message To Steve Simms: The Greatest Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Message To Steve Simms: The Greatest Project Reply with quote

I used to know Steve Simms. I used to subscribe to his Lucha Libra sheet (I guess in the late 80's or early 90's), and I went to a few wrestling cards with him, when we had our LA gang. Great guy and one of the major wrestling minds. In his field, I rank him with the major guys: Dave, Tenay, Mask, Williams (when he liked wrestling), Matt Farmer, and a very few others. Guys with a wide range of wrestling knowledge & could think.

But he had a habit of moving around, because of his job or something. So I lost track of him. I do enjoy when he does show up at the WON site. He always was the backbone of Lucha info at The Observer.

So he used to put out a lucha libra sheet. At the time I was going to a few Lucha shows in LA (major ones were the Santo vs Negro Casas matches)...but I didn't really understand what the hell was going on. The rules were unknown, booking patterns were different, and it was strange....but I liked it.

So I got Simm's sheet and the back issues. Soon after he put out a huge lucha yearbook, which resembled Dave's "Who's Who in Pro Wrestling" book. In Simms yearbook he covered the major wrestlers, the major Arenas in Mexico, the rules, and much of the history and culture of Mexican wrestling. It was printed on very cheap paper & look pretty bad, but I think it was one of the top 8 books...papers...things..... ever written on pro wrestling. It was in English and made for American fans wanting to learn. Everything I know about Lucha Libra came from that newsletter yearbook.

Simm's sheet went on another 10 issues & then faded away. I valued that paper but things happened & it got moved to the garage in a box with all my other sheets, letters & stuff. I've spent many days over the last 20 years in my dirty garage looking for it...but can't find it.

There is a strong possibility that I lent it to John Williams or James Holbrook....and they kept it. Or I'm too stupid to find it.

So Steve Simms wrote a masterpiece of wrestling knowledge around 1990. No telling how few people got this book (paper) or how many were ever published, but it's an important piece of wrestling history....at least in my mind....and there are a few people who respect my wrestling thinking...I don't know any of them...but I've heard this.

So Sims, if your out there...somewhere...and you have the book or paper....you need to reprint this thing....or maybe even re-write the damm thing.

I do little projects all the time....and I know a good one when I see it. This is a great one. This would be one of the great wrestling books. A Lucha Libra Book covering the culture, rules, major performers, Arenas, major matches & events, and as much history as you can figure out.

Steve Simms, I know your out there....right now...stop watching TV or reading that book or petting the dog....and WRITE THIS FUCKING BOOK. It's important to pro wrestling and it's fans. Excuses don't work....DO IT!! And you've already written it back in the early 1990's. Your the elite lucha libra mind in America, & a leader in the moment....it's your job.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve is on Facebook, but hasn't posted in several years.

When I take some vacation time, I'll see if I have copies of any Lucha Libre Weekly. I don't remember the book/yearbook, but do remember the sheets. I subbed for a while, and I think both of us tried to track down issues we didn't have back in the days when we tried to get back-copies of everything.
Tim Cooke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ton of Lucha Libre Weekly. I think I have them scanned in as well. If I do, I will share the Google Drive folder with you guys. Don't have the yearbook - that's now a holy grail.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve is on Dave's radio show a lot. I think he is more available now than when we hung around with him. Writes stuff for Dave too.

When I go hunting in my garage, and there are comics & movie magazines out there, this Lucha Yearbook is always on my mind. That and the Jim Cornette letter. I would put the Cornette letter on my wall if I could find it.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for sure that I don't have Jim's letter. :)

It was an all-time classic. I doubt that you ever put that in the garage. It has to be in the house somewhere.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Maria moved into the house, she got a guy to paint the house....all the wrestling stuff was moved to the garage, with the idea of moving it back. But the house was soon filled up with more wrestling stuff, & the outdoor stuff, stayed outdoors. I think I found the letter once, but left it in a box.

Can't blame the letter on anyone.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: