The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tennis Thread (a/k/a Roger Federer thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not get a chance to watch it. On vacation back in DC, and Lee and I were up to something or other during most of the Open.
guren

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Lee and I were up to something or other during most of the Open.

jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Last Stand of course is going five sets. Both happy and annoyed that I stayed up to watch this live. :P
guren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up watching the match in a sports bar in Roppongi. My nerves are fried and I still can't quite comprehend everything I witnessed.

So John, was the 5th set the most important set in the history of tennis? There is a good chance that it was.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. I'm biased to another era, so I'd say either the 5th set of the 1980 US Open Final or any of the last three sets of the 1984 French Open Final. We would have had a single season slam if either broke the other way. Mac's 1984 season would have been the male GOAT season, and Borg arguably would be the GOAT if he slammed in 1980.

Well, of we're going by total bias, the 3rd set of a certain 4th round match of the women's side of the French Open is arguably the most important. Perfect Season. Kathy Horvath... damn. :)

But yeah, this one was really big. GOAT arguments will point at this, unless Joker sustains his 2015-2016 level of play for a few more years (i.e. 5 slams in 2 seasons) and then plucks some more here and there.
guren

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy. What a privilege it has been to watch him play. I already can't wait for the U.S. Open.
guren

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Federer and Nadal split the four grand slams, with Roger winning the Australian and Wimbledon, and Rafa the French and U.S. Open. It's incredible that this happened in 2017, fourteen years since Federer's first grand slam title, and twelve years since Nadal's. I am really interested to see what kind of form these two bring into the 2018 Australian Open, assuming Federer doesn't retire.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the last post, Roger and Rafa split the next two after it... and Joker has won 4 out of the 5 since then. Only Rafa's near-unending string of titles in Paris braking that up.

Add that 5th set to Glenn's collection of possibly historically impactful 5th sets.

Amazing match to watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: