The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/2015 Futbol Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's not a bad hire by Everton.

In other news, Eva's case against Chelsea settled out after the first day of the trial. I tend to agree with the vibe of this piece - Chelsea sensed they were going to lose, paid up and apologized rather than risk even more.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/chelsea-settle-former-team-doctors-lawsuit-against-club-1781043136
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're about halfway through the final round of the group stages of the Euros, and it hasn't exactly been a barn-burner of a tournament. Germany was of course the favorite, but they haven't looked sharp at all. Spain hasn't either. If I were a betting man I'd throw a couple bucks on Italy. They don't have much in the way of attackers, but they do have Juventus' entire defense and their old coach, so I can see them Greece-ing their way to the title.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - you'll get a kick out of this:

Paul Merson lost his sh*t with John Stones & Roberto Martinez today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o54znZ9RSHw
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Paul Pogba transfer to ManU is done, at least according to the French media. Allegedly it will be 120m to Juventus, plus a cool 24m to Pogba's agent Mino Raiola for his...help I guess? He's also Zlatan's and Mkhitaryah's agent, so he's making plenty of cash from Utd this summer.

Is Pogba Sir Alex's biggest transfer failure? Pogba didn't sign a new deal and went to Juve. Utd got a nominal fee as he was only 18, but that's a profit of 119m for Juventus. Can't think of who else was a major screw up - Mark Bosnich? Not signing Alan Shearer? Veron wasn't awful at Utd, but he wasn't worth the fee. Signing Fabien Barthez instead of Edwin van der Sar? Getting rid of Jaap Stam?

Tom
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pogba is one of Sir Alex's greatest failures, dropping out the transfer part. :)

Good to have him back, if/when it gets down.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHA

Simon
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pogba deal isn't done yet, but it looks like Juvenuts are already spending 90m of that money on Gonzalo Higuain. 90m! That seems like a lot for a 28-year-old, but what do I know?
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we can get this done like NOW!

Of course his agent wants crazy money for his own cut, which seems to be holding it up.
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Pogba saga is finally over - he goes for 89m, not including (I assume) Raiola's fee. It got really, really tedious this last week or so. I really don't know why he wouldn't have gone to Real Madrid instead. Is Real not willing/able to pay that much? Didn't want to play in CR7's shadow?

In any event, I think Utd is likely the EPL favorite now. City hasn't really made much in the way of serious upgrades to the squad besides Gundogan. The Stones to City thing is almost as annoying as Pogba. Sane and Gabriel Jesus are both so young, who really knows how they'll turn out. Arsenal bought Xhaka, who is probably just who they need. Same with Chelsea and Kante, but they have other issues. Liverpool is Liverpool. Sets up for a fun season.

Tom
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tom Greaves"]City hasn't really made much in the way of serious upgrades to the squad besides Gundogan. The Stones to City thing is almost as annoying as Pogba. /quote]

And less than 12 hours after I post this, Stones to City for 47.5m. Everton is reportedly going to sign Ashley Williams - as a direct replacement in the short term, that's an upgrade, though of course they're very, very different players.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: