The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(NFL Draft) Michael Sam of Missouri announces he's gay.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: (NFL Draft) Michael Sam of Missouri announces he's gay. Reply with quote

Some potentially huge news was just announced:

http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/9/5396036/michael-sam-gay-football-player-missouri-nfl-draft
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this will have little impact on his career. If he can play, he'll play. If he can't, he wont.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, when you have Herm Edwards explaining why Sam will run into problems:

http://deadspin.com/herm-edwards-suggests-mike-sam-is-bringing-baggage-in-1519691334

Er... ;)

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were projecting him as going in the third to the fifth rounds of the upcoming NFL draft prior to the public revelation.

Now, a few are describing him as "third to seventh round, maybe not even drafted." I wonder why. :P

Really, though, if he has a good showing at the combine and does well in pre-draft visits and interviews, he could get drafted in the fourth or fifth round. What keeps him from going higher is that he's smaller than most defensive ends, but one only need look at Elvis Dumervil (a fourth-round pick) to see that a smaller player can be an good defensive end.

I could definitely see Sam going to a team that likes to find value in the later rounds. Seattle, San Francisco, New England and Denver all come to mind.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this affecting his stock at all.

All of these teams have had gay players and the organization knew about it. Kwame Harris was a horrendous player and gay. Everybody knew about it and he got chance after chance after chance despite continuing to bring a parade of suck.

Why?

Because he played offensive tackle and that is a key position. They liked his potential and couldn't find a better replacement so they kept giving him chances in hopes that he might reach his potential.

To me, I'm a bit conflicted about this. On one hand I think it's great that Sam came out if it can help other gays feel comfortable with their sexuality. OTOH, I tend to doubt how much of an impact his coming out will have and I don't see what makes him 'better' than the gays that decided to not come out, like Kwame Harris. It's not only their right to not want to come out to the public, but it is really nobody's business what their sexuality is.

I think the latter gets lost in all of this. I think that is primarily what gay rights activist have fought for over the years, that their sexuality is nobody's business. So idolizing Sam for coming out I think loses sight of this in that sense.

YR
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donte Stallworth had a good response to Herm Edwards' remarks.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/02/10/donte-stallworth-twitter-rant-michael-sam-gay-player-nfl-locker-room-culture/
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/sams-father-struggles-with-his-sons-revelation/

His father gave what will sadly be, a response to the contrary, that some individuals will have.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakuza Rich wrote:
To me, I'm a bit conflicted about this. On one hand I think it's great that Sam came out if it can help other gays feel comfortable with their sexuality. OTOH, I tend to doubt how much of an impact his coming out will have and I don't see what makes him 'better' than the gays that decided to not come out, like Kwame Harris. It's not only their right to not want to come out to the public, but it is really nobody's business what their sexuality is.

I think the latter gets lost in all of this. I think that is primarily what gay rights activist have fought for over the years, that their sexuality is nobody's business. So idolizing Sam for coming out I think loses sight of this in that sense.

I'm not conflicted about it because of this:

http://www.upworthy.com/29-states-can-fire-you-for-being-gay-is-your-state-one-of-them

http://www.policymic.com/articles/66751/this-map-shows-the-29-states-where-you-can-be-legally-fired-for-being-gay

It takes courage to come out. :/

Even if SCOTUS eventually has the balls to strike down all those laws, there still will be a slow curve. We know this:

"Black Baseball Player"

"Black QB"

"Black Head Coach"

"Black GM"

"Black Owner"

"Black Commish"

"Gay Athlete in a Big 4 Sport"

Etc, etc, etc.

The only way to break through on those things is to... break through.

Martina made it easier for women after her to come out in tennis. It's not like a lot did, but if they do, they can point to Martina. We still have the problem in other women's sports, but people like Brittney Griner are breaking down the barrier.

In the NFL, someone eventually had to do it. Do I wish that Tom Brady were the one, coming out after winning his 3rd Super Bowl? Sure... that would have shut the thing up forever. But no Gay Big Star has bit the bullet and stepped forward. Instead it was a college kid.

I don't begrudge people living in the closest. It's their private life. I only begrudge it when they're like Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham, promoting bigotry (in things like their DOMA and ENDA and other votes) while shielding themselves from it by hiding in the closet (in the sense that neither would ever have gotten elected where they open, and even now probably wouldn't get out of the primary if they were open and stopped their support of bigotry positions). That to me is where Private Life intersects with Public Life, and the hypocrisy bothers the shit out of me.

If Kwame Harris wants to / wanted to keep his private life private, I have no problem with it.

If Michael Sam wants to live life openly, and be active and even proactive, I'm fine with that. Better than fine: I salute him for the courage.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took 7 rounds, but Michael Sam got drafted. To the St Louis Rams.

A happy ending for sure.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams look like a good spot for him to land. Close to his college home, and Fish seemed very supportive of the pick.

He does now need to get in there and work his ass off.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Michael Sam is going to have a reality show on Oprah's network. Naturally, there's backlash about his decision. From some of the media, to even a new teammate:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10937348/player-st-louis-rams-says-michael-sam-show-potential-distraction

It has begun.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And plans for said reality show are on hold. Postphoned.

In the meantime, here's an article on the backlash that Sam had gotten, from members of the NFL media:

http://deadspin.com/nfl-writers-are-mad-at-michael-sam-because-nfl-writers-1577131691
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bombshell of sorts.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/03/23/michael-sam-rams-hard-knocks/

A little depressing if you ask me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: