The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Circus that is the New York Jets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with the Jets mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs, its pretty much a foregone conclusion that Rex is done. Things like this are also proof:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/26/jets-wouldnt-let-rex-talk-about-buddys-health-situation/

Say what you want about Rex, but that's a pretty lousy thing for the Jets to do.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful. :(
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex sure looked like a beaten man last night. Can't remember him looking that down and "walking the plank" in his vibe.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already talk that Rex may be a talking head on TV next year.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2014/11/30/rex-ryan-seth-markman-television-football-analyst-jemele-hill-janay-rice-paul-finebaum-iron-bowl

I can see him being part of ESPN. Maybe replacing Ditka. Or if Gruden ever gets another coaching gig, he could replace him on MNF.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably posted this at the time: I think what Ryan wanted when his teams got to the AFC Championship game was to get to the Super Bowl and then walk away into being The Next John Madden.

Since that time:

* Grudden has gotten ingrained as The Next Madden

Right down to the commercials and off season specials. He's turned down several offers to go coach, some of them good. He didn't even chase the USC job the second time it was opened recently, unlike the time he chased it and Kiffin got it instead. He seems to like working for ESPN, MNF and the easier life it created than coaching.

ESPN also has a back up to Grudden in Trent Dilfer. My guess is that he's their first choice to replace Chucky if Chucky goes back to coaching.

* NBC loves Collinsworth

They just flat out love him with Al. They've been #1 two out of the last three years in the ratings. I don't see that job opening up for close to a decade.

* Fox loves Aikman

Ryan isn't getting to the top spot at Fox. Buck and Troy are 45-48 years old, and will be together for another decade.

Which leaves CBS.

Simms is 60, and frankly a big pain in the ass on broadcasts. I wouldn't be surprised if CBS starts easing him out in the next 5 or so years, along with a number of their older announcers.

Their bench is thin in terms of potential long term commentators in the #1 team: Dan Fouts, Trent Green, Rich Gannon, Solomon Wilcots, Steve Beuerlein, Adam Archuleta, Brad Johansen.

So this is one where Rex could go in, have "AFC Knowledge", and quickly work his way up the ladder.

There's good money in the studio. But doing color work on the Super Bowl is a much bigger deal. There are just three of those guys right now: Collinsworth, Aikman and Simms. There are loads of people in the studios.

As a side note...

My guess is that if ESPN signs Ryan, it means that they know a little something about Chucky going back into coaching in the next few years. In which case Dilfer would get that he's possibly being passed over in favor of Ryan for the MNF gig. In which case I wouldn't be suprised to see him jump to ESPN to be Simms' heir, since he would instantly slot above everyone else on the depth chart.

Still... I think CBS knows their own depth chart and how thin it is. It seems the most likely place.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with Rex and Idzik gone, you would think the Circus would've died down a little:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/woody-johnson-tampers-with-darrelle-revis/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/woody-johnson-says-he-misspoke-when-he-tampered-with-revis/

So perhaps they'll lose a draft pick.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jets acquire Brandon Marshall from the Bears. So now they have Marshall/Decker/Kerley and Harvin.

One of the sticking points for this deal was Marshall wanting to continue his Inside the NFL gig in NYC.

But now with Rex in Buffalo, and Todd Bowles the coach, I wonder if Bowles can have the same charm with his players, the way Rex did.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin is probably gone to get cap space.

They need a QB to throw to those guys, and an offensive line to protect that QB.

Here's Robert Mays a few days ago on what the Jets could do to fix things:

How We’d Fix It: The Jets Have a Lot of Money, and They’d Better Spend It
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@MMehtaNYDN 3m3 minutes ago

Source: Darrelle Revis' contract with the Jets: 5 years, $70M ($39 FULLY guaranteed). $48M in first 3 years. #nyj

So they got Revis. But at what cost?

This pretty much means Geno Smith, or someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the QB next year.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word is the Jets will trade for Fitzpatrick. He will clearly be the stopgap until either next year's draft, or while whichever QB they draft this year develops.

I can see the Jets still hoping to trade down with anyone who is interested in Mariota, although it doesn't appear likely the Eagles will be that team... but then again, stranger things have happened.
Rian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
Word is the Jets will trade for Fitzpatrick. He will clearly be the stopgap until either next year's draft, or while whichever QB they draft this year develops.

I can see the Jets still hoping to trade down with anyone who is interested in Mariota, although it doesn't appear likely the Eagles will be that team... but then again, stranger things have happened.

Bradford is being dangled for another first round pick. Chip wants Marcus badly.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like Shelton Richardson (who was suspended for the first 4 games this year for marjuana use) may be out a little longer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/30/report-sheldon-richardson-was-arrested-on-july-14/

There's a lot of stuff that's damaging.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/geno-smith-sucker-punched-in-jets-locker-room-out-6-10-weeks/

Wow. This means Ryan Fitzpatrick will most likely be the starter.

Just a strange strange situation.
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what a year they had. One of the most pleasnt surprises in a while, with the rise of Ryan Fitzpatrick. But they came up short in the end. Regardless they should sign Fitz to a multi-year deal. He's proven he can be the Jets quarterback next year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: